The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

which way? or does it matter

jimmie

Jr. Shave Member
take the pen put it in the vice grips with as little as possible sticking up so I don't bend it hit it about 20 times about like I'm tapping on my knuckle just to the point where it hurts. I'm finding that when I hang the vise grips over the anvil it doesn't do as well as when I just put the tip on the anvil, which makes it much more difficult with such a little bit of the tip showing. recommendations?

before answering try to do one sitting in a chair about 15 in away from the table you have to do it on because the scooter won't get any closer LOL add some different elements but basically the same I aim for the middle of the pen and I get a good dome shape going because I hit everywhere but where I'm aiming

IMG_20221216_185027286.jpgIMG_20221216_185044876.jpg

I don't do it that way. I peen both sides with the pin inserted in the assembled scales. Going back and forth between the sides helps me keep them even.🤷‍♂️

I don't do it that way. I peen both sides with the pin inserted in the assembled scales. Going back and forth between the sides helps me keep them even.🤷‍♂️
that's the way I was doing it that was kicking my butt which led to this LOL it works both ways but I've been so many pins I figured I asked and somebody might have a tip or something. I can't hardly do it both at the same time never did get the hang of it but I only tried five or six times. my attempt to keep it even is I basically just do it enough to hold the washer because every time I would flip it they would fall off no matter what I did. I put tape on it I tried everything but rather than make a complete mushroom I just tap it 20 times and sometimes that doesn't even hold the washer on so I'm getting more advanced by the tap LOL

I'm one of those OCD, methodical people. I have to have a game plan or I can't function LOL even if a washer falls off occasionally I don't have any even issues because it's pretty much just tapped enough to where you would be turning it over. I'm sure this all makes sense LOL. I have a hard time getting what I'm trying to say to come out on these issues? I don't know the terminology or how to put things

...I just tap it 20 times and sometimes that doesn't even hold the washer on so I'm getting more advanced by the tap LOL
20 taps is probably not going to be nearly enough to get a good shape and the retention needed to get a good tight pin job. I would recommend several hundred extra light taps. I don't know how many exactly as it depends on several factors and there is ever going to be "right" answer that covers all situations, but I can tell you that 20 is not enough.

One thing I did was to get some practice materials and a junk blade and practice repeatedly pinning it up before I tried it on a real straight razor.

Best of luck, keep practicing and you will get it.

20 taps is probably not going to be nearly enough to get a good shape and the retention needed to get a good tight pin job. I would recommend several hundred extra light taps. I don't know how many exactly as it depends on several factors and there is ever going to be "right" answer that covers all situations, but I can tell you that 20 is not enough.

One thing I did was to get some practice materials and a junk blade and practice repeatedly pinning it up before I tried it on a real straight razor.

the reason I use 20 was basically just to hold the washer from falling off. I wasn't trying to form the mushroom. of course I started out doing that LOL then I just found that 20 taps is usually enough to hold it in place enough to keep it from falling off so I can flip it back and forth

I love the way you guys know all this stuff LOL because 20 taps would not be enough. and I have actually counted how many it takes to actually keep it from coming off and that would be 100 LOL and there's a pretty good little lip around the whole thing. my object was not to get it any certain way but, just hold the washer on because I just could not flip it and keep it on. I'm pretty sure I didn't know forums existed at that time. I'm sure you've tried to pick these washers up off the floor. try it from a scooter that tips over if you lean over too far LOL. dropping washers got old real quick as I had about 96 of them on the floor and one on my finger trying to get it on the pin LOL so I had to switch the plan b LOL

I do get your point. more, lighter tabs. you said a couple hundred light tabs, I used a hundred fairly firm tabs. after I started putting the pin down in the vise grips so it wouldn't bend. I'm an idiot. this stuff is not as common sense as you would think

Some people use a small jewelers anvil. But whatever your anvil, drill a hole and/or a divot.

With the hole, you can drop in your pin in and mushroom the top. Then put your razor together and mushroom the other side of your pin. The previous mushroomed side can sit in the divot.

Or just use the divot by itself. Put your razor together with the pin resting in the divot. Peen until both sides mushroom.

28348855-F68F-4DF7-9E90-33493DD34D03.jpeg

Some people use a small jewelers anvil. But whatever your anvil, drill a hole and/or a divot.

With the hole, you can drop in your pin in and mushroom the top. Then put your razor together and mushroom the other side of your pin. The previous mushroomed side can sit in the divot.

Or just use the divot by itself. Put your razor together with the pin resting in the divot. Peen until both sides mushroom.

View attachment 100690
Yup, what @MilkCrate said.
IMG_20221217_130859885~2.jpg

the worst part about all of this is, I realize just what an effect this disease has actually had LOL I cannot hit where I'm aiming to save my life. I'm just trying to hit the pen let alone like you guys do it at different angles to make it go a certain way. you can call me one and done. I aim for the PIN and hope for the best LOL

I do actually have a whole in my anvil but I put it there for a different reason LOL of course my reason didn't work but I've already got the whole. I was trying to keep the stupid thing from moving

what are the bad parts about doing it my way? because I just tapping enough to hold a washer on I slide a washer on it and half of them come right off and I just tap it a few more times until it don't you can usually pull the washer off but it won't come off on its own and that's all I do because the way I have to lean over and my elbow rests on a hard corner of a table a bunch of BS that I just have to deal with. but what are the pros and cons or does it really matter as long as it gets done I guess but if I'm going to be causing the blade did not set even or something I want to do it right. I'll just have to find a way to do it right and easy LOL

do any of you have a video of you doing it? I would much rather do it the way somebody knows how to do it rather than Mike from Detroit stoned and drunk in his mom's basement. not that he would mislead me, just he might be a bigger idiot than me. I would love to have something a bit more personal that I can trust because I will do it just like I'm shown

I know some people put the pin in a drill jaw and set it spinning then tap. You have to keep just the very top sticking out. I have done it that way but I prefer to do it like this:

I have a pinning block with various sizes divots in it like a dapping block. And also a hole just the size of a pin.
PXL_20230201_024215188.jpg
I put the pin in the hole...PXL_20230201_024416635.jpg...and then the collars over it in order then load the scale, blade, other scale and collars in order. Then cut the pin off and, holding it tightly, peen the top side of the pin. After that side is done I turn the whole block, razor and everything over to hold the collars on. I have tried taping it on but that never seemed to help much. Then, holding it all tightly together clip the little amount of extra pin, put the peened side into the appropriate divot then peen the top side. If it needs it I will sand the pin like Jamie shows in the video above but most of the time it doesn't need it; just more lite taps. The correct way and answer to just about every issue with peening is more lite taps. It's easy to get impatient and hit it harder but that always leads to problems.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back