The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Whats the secret abiut shaving wtg only.

ParamedicAL

Shave Member
First Responder
Soni have been wet shaving for a number of years. If I do only wtg pass I have lots of stubble left wether I use a mild razor or rex ambassador on setting 4 or blackbird. Across the grain pass doesn't do anything for me as there is no stubble in the lather. Against the grain pass does the trick but irritation is a pain in the ass. What advice would you guys give me. Thank you

I have never been able to just do WTG, or even just one pass, for the very same reason. Too much gets left behind! 2 passes is the minimum for me when time is short - 1 WTG to knock down any length and at least a second pass of a hybrid XTG/ATG. I find I can often get BBS still with the hybrid pass and it’s less irritating than a straight up ATG.

Its all about the hybrid passes for me. My first 2 passes are both hybrid. First is WTG/XTG and second is ATG/XTG. I do a final full ATG only in certain areas that need it and can handle it without issues.

Have you tried the across the grain pass in both directions? I do a WTG pass followed by XTG (Nose to Ear), then last pass is XTG (E-N). I don't like doing an ATG pass at all, but if I'm doing touch up will sometimes do a modified diagonally upwards stroke.

You say there's no stubble in the lather, but if you've already done the WTG pass, then the amount of stubble reduction on subsequent passes is very small. Do you hear anything being cut? I don't see stubble in my lather, but I hear audible feedback, and feel the resistance in the stroke, so I know it's cutting something.

I recently went from 3 passes minimum to 2-3 max.... WTG and ATG if 2 passes. Oddly enough, I don’t feel much difference on my face skipping the XTG, except on my neck. For what it’s worth, I have pili multigemini on my entire neck - multiple hairs out of each follicle. They do not follow “normal” beard growth so usually need to hit the neck several times. Since switching to the Henson razor, my neck is smooth and always irritation free with 3 passes - maybe try a different razor? 🤔

Thanks guys for replies. I think i found a solution a mild razor and a sharp blade. One pass with the grain and 2 across the grain passes in both directions. Starting tomorrow I will decrease the number of variables and stick to just one soap feather as d2 razor some assortment of blades and one brush and see where i end up. I do have a coarse beard but from reading feather as d2 shouldn't have a problem as long as I shave everyday.

If you really want to attempt WTG only, you probably need something a bit more efficient. I do WTG only, with just a bit of buffing XTG in certain problem spots. Fatboy at 9, R41, Future on 6, etc. Rex on 4 isn't as efficient as you think if you're shooting for a 1-pass WTG shave.

If you really want to attempt WTG only, you probably need something a bit more efficient. I do WTG only, with just a bit of buffing XTG in certain problem spots. Fatboy at 9, R41, Future on 6, etc. Rex on 4 isn't as efficient as you think if you're shooting for a 1-pass WTG shave.
Well rex does have setting 6 😛

As someone with very coarse hair, that is easily prone to ingrowns, it's been often suggested that wtg is the best way to go. However, I skip it completely as it doesn't do much at all unless there's multiple days of growth.
XTG/ATG-combo pass seems to be most effective for me, as my hair lays very flat to my skin. Less passes, the better. :)

Back