The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's the perfect number of shave brushes to own?

bosch

Master TSC Shave Member
Okay, open kimono. Hi, I'm @bosch, and I've got a problem with SBAD (shave brush acquisition disorder). Can you help? :oops: I've owned many brushes. I've pif'd many brushes. Some of the brushes I've pif'd, I bought identical replacements. Peat and repeat. Anyone else suffer like this? What's your ideal number of shave brushes to own? Why? Have you found your shave brush nirvana? Or, is it totally elusive? Maybe this post will help some of us to understand what our optimum is. My numbers have gone up and down. I buy because I think some minor difference will magically produce my grail brush. Then I purge because I strive for simplicity. What has your path been? Thanks.

I grew my brush collection slowly. Started with a super cheap badger, then got a cheap boar and my first synth. Then over a few years I got a few more synths as they were my brush of choice. Finally put out for a few high end badgers. At 9 brushes total now (plus a few in the sell bin) I’m pretty much done and I’m happy with that...because they all see use at least once every week or two, some much more for convenience. If I had too many more I don’t think I’d be happy with how long some would begin sitting between uses. It’d be like “what’s the point?”

I think there’s still a high end badger or two I’d like and some specific synths I’d like to get.

I have about a dozen right now. I'm kind of like GearNoir. Started with a cheapo...bought a couple more (boar, horse, and synth - I know...that's three and more than a couple...I like to take poetic license). Then I dabbled in a couple better brushes. Got rid of a few. Bought some more...and it is all good from there. In a perfect in a perfect world where I don't have to worry about money...or the wife telling me I can't spend the money...I would have probably several more...especially in the higher end category...but not all. So...right now I would say that the dozen I have is a pretty good number with maybe one or two more making things perfect. But who am I kidding. Given the opportunity...Yeah...I would have a lot more!

I have a bunch. only bought double of a certain semogue limited edition back in 2012. I have sold a few, probably a bit too hastily, but in the end, they weren’t as pleasant to use as others due to small handle or knot size. I wish i hadnt sold my vulfix supers 40 and 41.

My grail brush doesnt exist at the moment that i am aware of without some crazy premium. Sadly i was 10 years too late back a decade ago.

When I started I was like others. I had a VDH boar then some brushes were sent to me by some Very exceptional folks ( you know who you are. And Thanks ) I won a few , my friend who has an antique store gave me one to redo I 3d printed some but there are still a few I don't have that I'm always looking for one of like a real Rubberset 400 or even a metal clone. I am probably at about a dozen now.

I do not own any that have a "premium" knot. That being said, I have some wonderful brushes made by some of the awesome artisans on this forum. I have a total of 9 right now. Just enough for a good variety. Now, there may come the day down the road when I pick up a ultra high end and find out what I am missing, but I am at my current perfect number.

I Really really enjoy being able to go back to some early acquisitions, like my 10098.. couldnt have that experience if it was my only one or in a small rotation. It just wouldnt be different enough… 🤔 i may have just stumbled on a issue with consistent brush builds.. we Really really need the handmade tied knots and loft and knot quality issues and inconsistencies to ensure this environment, we cant complain about variations in simpsons knots or differences in tips, etc. otherwise whats the point? Or is that a completely crazy point

Back