The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What was First Fragrance Purchase

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
So growing up, I’m sure I’m not unlike most folks here where the first colognes you used were whatever your dad had….. and I’m old enough to be older than Axe spray. - I don’t think we even had an equivalent back in the 80’s.

Then it got to the point where your mom bought you your own - so I do remember Brut being in the mix - possibly Aspen as well.

But I’m wondering what everyone’s first Cologne that they used their own money to get- mine was Drakkar Noir……I still have a bottle now - but I’m sure back then - I must have worn it so the next block one could smell me 😂.

1649701589763.jpeg

The other one I had - though this was a gift was Ralph Lauren Polo (the original Green). It would have been out of my budget - but it was Christmas time and I remember going on a first date with a girl from the upper crust (we lived in a small town, more cows than people, the crust was thin 😂- but she was the daughter of one of the town doctors.

1649701923904.png

I wanted to impress her so I had bought her a Christmas present - a sweater (I don’t know why - it was a first date - I was a teenage dude). We were at the movies at the mall. She was surprised - but excused herself to go put the sweater on - and she she came back - she has a wrapped bottle of Polo for me. I guess I was the winner there - or maybe she was telling me I stunk.

1649702024213.gif

My grandpa gave me all the drugstore cheapies, English Leather was my favorite, god I need to get some again.

I'm not sure it was my first, but maybe first deliberate fragrance, was one of the late 70's musks, it's been making me crazy to know what it was though. It was skanky, borderline skunk, but I loved it. Another I'd buy in a heartbeat if only I knew what it was lol.

Great Flannel was another, I got it about the time I decided to go to college, I got it because I thought it was sophisticated.

Yea…Old Spice was pretty much my Axe of the 80s as given by dad. Then Brian nailed it when he said mom gave the next set…mine sold Avon so I had some of their frag stuff in the 90s. I believe I used Aqua and one other?

The first frag I actually spent money on was Michael Jordan’s first Cologne release in the later 90s. Sporty, versatile, smelled great (as I remember it), and cheap.

Old Spice and Z-14 reminds me of my dad, and MJ cologne reminds me of middle school, although I'm not sure I actually ever owned it in the 90s / early 2000s. I used AV Ice Blue as my "cologne" for most of middle and high school, stole my dad's bottle of Z-14 for middle and high school dances. Didn't wear anything in college to my memory. When I dropped down the wetshaving rabbit hole in late 2013, I stuck to aftershaves all the way until last year, when I picked up a Polo Blue clone at Walmart for $10. That was followed by my own bottle of MJ cologne, and now I have a nice "little" collection of 10 or so bottles.

Back