The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What other personal grooming products do you use? (artisan or not)

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
I don't know about y'all but my journey down the path of wet shaving has exposed me to several new personal care items.

Early on it made sense to grab some Brylcreem and Groom n Clean. Now I have found a few artisan crafted pomades (The Holy Black and Nostalgic in GTB scent) which seem to agree more with my hair and scalp.

Before I went wild with shave soaps I was buying artisan made body soaps, some better than others but all of them fun to smell. Other than Williams Mug soap I have not used a commercial made soap on my body for a few years. Yes, I use Williams as a shower soap from time to time, it is a good way to rotate partially used pucks out of the den. Artisans like Stirling and Chiseled Face have been my body soap goto of late ...mostly CFG. I also have a seemingly endless stash of my own homemade soaps which end up in the shower, few have disappointed but even fewer really impressed.

Shampoo bars? Yup, I first got one of these as a Christmas present from my Bingle Buddy and I loved it. I want to say it was made by taconic and was in BayRum scent but I may be wrong. I have also tried WSP's shampoo bar (when it was in development), I thought it was great but never came back for more. Just recently I purchased a couple shampoo bars from Lisa (LNHC), the name is near impossible for me to say but you'll know it when you see it. I tried it last night and this morning and found it to be incredible, WAAAAY beyond just good.

While we are on the topic of hair and scalp...How 'bout that Jeris, or maybe clubman hair tonic. I actually have enjoyed a variety of hair tonics on this journey, all of which worth repeating. ...of course I add a pinch or ten of menthol to mine because menthol is a gift from the gods.

Aftershave and balm? Mustache Wax? SOLID cologne? Done it all. If you have never seen solid cologne it is an interesting beast worth trying (although it is a bit expensive to do a blind buy).

Witch Hazel, never touched the stuff before I set off down the road to shave nervana. I find the stuff excessively stinky so I add menthol, glycerin, castor oil and essential oils to make it a pseudo aftershave. I've not been able to bring myself to buy the more expensive brands/scents but will admit a bottle will likely last a long time.

Speaking of long lasting... most of these artisan products have a fairly long life in the den. Bath/Shower soap being the quickest to be consumed (1-2 weeks per bar). My recent experience with Lisa's shampoo bar has me thinking my 2 bar purchase will last me until AT LEAST Christmas if not longer. Solid Colognes seem like they would be impossible to ever use up completely ...unless you live alone and have no visitors. Other than bath soaps, I am struggling to come up with an artisan product that is consumed so quickly you be concerned about running out. Compared to the $.99 cent store soap an artisan soap costing $3-$6 per bar may seem expensive...compared to a small juice it up pina coolada or a frapadapa from starbucks a bar of artisan soap isn't so intimidating. The killer is shipping (face it, the PO makes a ton of cashola from us soap freaks...and it aint getting cheaper) but when you stock up or add a bar to a shaving soap order it aint so bad. Being the thrifty guy that I am, I swing by The Groomatorium and pick up a half dozen IMPERFECT bars (at a discount) now and then.

I guess another fair question is whether all these artisan products actually end up costing us more than our old habits. If you bought everything at the $.99 cent only store, yes it does. If you purchased at Target or Walmart maybe not. I am fortunate enough to have skin that doesn't care what kind of scum I wash with. Unfortunately, my hair and scalp DO care. I used to buy shampoo and hair gel from the dollar store and suffer the worst dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. I tried Clubman hair gel, like the smell and feel but it set my head ablaze the same as the dollar store stuff. Artisan soap (or shampoo) combined with a basic artisan pomade seems to have been a life saver.

So, what say you? Have you found and enjoyed new grooming care products you may never have considered had you not gone down this road? Do you find these new products offer a good value and/or offer a benefit you deem priceless?

Thanks to this hobby I use better hair products. Although I still have dry scalp problems that does turn into sores at times. I really enjoy the pomades... water based only! I don't need another episode like that one time in early 2017! I use a natural deodorant and I really enjoy the natural body soaps also. Although I will be honest when at a Dollar Store they had a 3 pack of Palmolive Shave soap for a $1 it smells just like the shave stick, and I have really enjoyed that. Once they are gone though I will be going back to regular bath soaps from artisans.

No I am not saving money but I do feel like my skin, hair, armpits, etc are all healthier because of it. Plus I always hated the smell on the commercial body wash goos.

I have been using artisan bath soaps for about a decade now. I used to suffer from extremely dry skin on the backs of my hands. My knuckles especially would crack and occasionally bleed. It was a chronic thing. Then I switched to using soaps that don't have lauryl or laureth sulfates (i.e. artisan lye soaps) and gentle skin cleansers for hand washing which caused my dry skin to go away. Shaving soap was a natural progression.

The majority of my other personal grooming items are a mix of common and/or generic drug store items (Colgate/Crest toothpaste, head n shoulders, some kind of gel or hair product, etc.) and Mary Kay items since my missus sells the stuff (colognes, moisturizers/lotions, shower gel, etc.). Traditional shaving is my first major break out of all that stuff.

Until this hobby I was just fine not knowing about how many different branches this rabbit hole had. Now I have found LNHC and Mystic Water bath bars. I still use Dove men +care and a couple of Nivea products. Still considering the shampoo bars for my next shampoo purchase

The majority of my other personal grooming items are a mix of common and/or generic drug store items (Colgate/Crest toothpaste, head n shoulders, some kind of gel or hair product, etc.) and Mary Kay items since my missus sells the stuff (colognes, moisturizers/lotions, shower gel, etc.). Traditional shaving is my first major break out of all that stuff.
completely forgot the toothpaste. 20 years ago I purchase a tube of toothpaste from a doctor friend selling amway (it was literally all I could afford), it was so concentrated a tiny pea size was more than enough. I liked that one but never bought it again. I have sensitive teeth/gumline so I really do need a sensitive teeth formula but a dollar store brand works well enough. I have since picked up Eucril powdered tooth paste and have Williams tooth powder (it’s vintage so I have not tried it yet). The powder is a great way to kick up the cheap sensitive stuff. I was given a tube of Marvis by my bingle buddy...loved it. I even got my wife a large tube of violet flavored Marvis. ...don’t give you wife toothpaste for Christmas, no matter how expensive or cool it might be.

Until this hobby I was just fine not knowing about how many different branches this rabbit hole had. Now I have found LNHC and Mystic Water bath bars. I still use Dove men +care and a couple of Nivea products. Still considering the shampoo bars for my next shampoo purchase
I can confidently recommend The stuff I got from Lisa. I can also recommend WSP’s tea tree bars, although the last time I used it it was a small sample of a beta test.

If Lisa is reading this, it would be fun to have a shampoo soap on a rope so I can hang it out of the way.

I can confidently recommend The stuff I got from Lisa. I can also recommend WSP’s tea tree bars, although the last time I used it it was a small sample of a beta test.

If Lisa is reading this, it would be fun to have a shampoo soap on a rope so I can hang it out of the way.
question here. Would you rather loose ounces from the soap because of the rope and then in the long run still have to dry it on the shelf because the rope wore through? Is this a lazy easy issue of convenience that you want a rope? Answers would help and i might make it happen.

question here. Would you rather loose ounces from the soap because of the rope and then in the long run still have to dry it on the shelf because the rope wore through? Is this a lazy easy issue of convenience that you want a rope? Answers would help and i might make it happen.
the first shampoo bar I tried was similar in size and general texture and it had a little rope looked into it. It hung directly under the shower head, which in hind sight might not have been best, and it lasted on the rope quite some time. It was as much a novelty as it was utilitarian.
Now Chads soap net idea makes sense. I think I would like to find one of those rather than have you place a rope in a bar.

I've dabbled in hair products from gels to pomades, and hair tonics and creams. Before my Mohawk, I was a daily hair tonic (Jeris or Vitalis) and Clubman gel user. Now I use more modern spiking cream and hair spray to keep my hair spiked all day.

I use Brut deodorant, which is a direct result of loving Brut AS.

I use Pinaud Clubman shampoo. At $4 a bottle, it's a real steal, as even when I had a full head of hair, a pea size amount was plenty. A bottle will last me about 6 months. I have a few years supply because I bough a bunch on sale.

I use Clubman talc when the need arises. Sometimes as a body dryer, when I'm about to go out and it is hot and sticky. I also apply some to my forehead and nose before I film one of my VLOGS, to take some of the shine off my face. That is if I notice shine before I hit record... sometimes I forget.

I always use bar soap in the shower and next to my sink in the bathroom. Starting to dabble into artisan soaps there.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Not much on my end. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid castile peppermint soap in the shower for my body wash. Other than that, store bought shampoo & deodorant. I just discovered an area I want to look into - shampoo bars. I may have to try one of Lisa's shampoo bars after hearing its praises. Question, I have a dry scalp & use dandruff shampoo in from October - April. Will the shampoo bar moisturize my scalp & keep those dandruf flakes away?

Not much on my end. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid castile peppermint soap in the shower for my body wash. Other than that, store bought shampoo & deodorant. I just discovered an area I want to look into - shampoo bars. I may have to try one of Lisa's shampoo bars after hearing its praises. Question, I have a dry scalp & use dandruff shampoo in from October - April. Will the shampoo bar moisturize my scalp & keep those dandruf flakes away?
shikakai, amla, brahmi, bhringraj and neem in the shampoo bar are all wonderful herbs for dandruff, and scalp issues.

I've dabbled in hair products from gels to pomades, and hair tonics and creams. Before my Mohawk, I was a daily hair tonic (Jeris or Vitalis) and Clubman gel user. Now I use more modern spiking cream and hair spray to keep my hair spiked all day.

I use Brut deodorant, which is a direct result of loving Brut AS.

I use Pinaud Clubman shampoo. At $4 a bottle, it's a real steal, as even when I had a full head of hair, a pea size amount was plenty. A bottle will last me about 6 months. I have a few years supply because I bough a bunch on sale.

I use Clubman talc when the need arises. Sometimes as a body dryer, when I'm about to go out and it is hot and sticky. I also apply some to my forehead and nose before I film one of my VLOGS, to take some of the shine off my face. That is if I notice shine before I hit record... sometimes I forget.

I always use bar soap in the shower and next to my sink in the bathroom. Starting to dabble into artisan soaps there.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.
I really like Clubman shampoo, if I weren’t using the soaps/shampoo I made these last many months I would definitely have been using Clubman shampoo. I like the talc too

Back