The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What is your favorite Bible translation?

Z-2

Hello everybody !

English is not my first language, so, I use a bulgarian Bible translation Veren, but also, I begin to read NKJV :) I have use YouVersion, Olive Tree and Tecarta apps

What is your favorite translation, and why?

Gotta be careful when discussing religion, as it is one of the most controversial topics in the world. So if this thread takes off let's keep it civil.

I read the bible every day one chapter the same chapter out of 3 different versions:

St. Joseph Catholic Bible
RSV (Revised Standard Version) particularly my Didache Catholic Bible
Douay Rheim

But as the saying goes with my bible study group that I am in at church the best bible is a Read Bible! We actually ran a campaign where we did a play on words at mass and challenged people to have a red bible through the advent season. So many people asked us why red? This opened the door for the conversation to READ the bible not red bible.

I alternate between NKJ and ASB (American Standard Bible). I have used and like Olive Tree as well. The verse of the day on my phone is NIV.

My favorite reading version is the ESV simply because I find it strikes a good balance between word-for-word translation with a hint of translation for meaning. For any original language work I prefer to make use of NKJV for comparison because it has a certain attractive flow to the prose while being more word-for-word translation.

But as the saying goes with my bible study group that I am in at church the best bible is a Read Bible!
Well said!

I read the NKJV in its entirety and found it flowed well according to my literary sensibilities. The Old Testament is a delicious treasure, and don’t believe you can claim to understand Western culture, religion, humanity, or art without knowing it well. My Jewish finds often chide, “Why are you reading my book”. The New Testament and the message of the gospels, despite my agnosticism, is part of my fundamental moral foundation and a strong guiding force on how I conduct my life. I studied a bit of the Greek and was enlightened greatly by the importance of translation and semantics. There are so many outstanding verses and stories in The Bible, but the two I will loosely quote below are my touchstones.

“Even Satan knows the scripture well”.

“Jesus wept”.

Blessed be all.

PS I think it is unfortunate that topics of great importance like religion and politics are taboo. In the words of James Baldwin, “Problems cannot be solved until they are faced”.

Last edited:
I was a voracious Bible reader in years gone by. I mostly read the NASB (New American Standard Bible), but I have 28 Bibles in my library. Some are duplicates of my favorite Bible and the rest are various translations. I collected Bibles like some people here collect razors.

I read the Bible cover-to-cover each year. I choose a different translation each year and alternate between the NIV, ESV, and NASB. It has been helpful for me to read and compare different translations. I use Bible Gateway to track my progress, and I listen to a reader while I follow along in the text. This is also helpful for me. This year, I'm using the McCheyne Bible Reading Plan.

My Bride reads a chapter each day and studies the commentaries using Bible Gateway and the Oliver Tree app. She mainly reads the NIV or the NASB translations. She'll often read along while listening to a reader.

Many years ago, a friend suggested that I begin my adult Bible study with a children's Bible. A children's study Bible contains useful application notes for all ages. The artwork and diagrams are helpful as well.

Depends on which verse you're talking about. I switch up translations every year or two. When I'm doing an in-depth study, I read through at least 5 different translations looking for any insights I can find. I love YouVersion because it makes reading a verse in multiple translations so easy. I prefer the language in the NIV, probably because that's what I'm most used to. I like that CSB and a few others updated the units to more modern measurement standards. The message can be enlightening if you've never read a plain-language version before. ESV and NLT both have their merits as well. It really depends on what you're trying to get out of it. Like many have said, the best translation is the one that you enjoy reading. Don't fight through a translation you don't like unless you have a very good reason for doing so. I highly recommend The Bible Project app as well. It offers a few different thought-for-thought and word-for-word translations.

Back