The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are your Holiday Traditions?

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
What are you're favorite holiday traditions?

It always amazes me how many interesting traditions each of us have. Some of us are from other cultures, religions, countries, and are of vastly different ages.

Before kid we would attend midnight mass, but now we attend the children's mass on christmas eve, then come home and open one present... always pajamas and a christmas movie. Then off to bed.

I am up bright and early to clear the snow off our driveway.

We always have breakfast burritos after opening presents.

Then attend Christmas Day Mass.

We also do an advent wreath throughout the advent season.

Very traditional Catholic customs.

It has also turned into tradition of staying up WAY to late on Christmas eve putting together toys so the kids can play with them in the morning. And don't forget the cursing of every toy that requires batteries! Pro tip stock up on all sizes at Costco before the big day.

Dude, we are a family full of traditions. Many I don't think are all that unusual.

Advent - As kids, my mom made us large hanging cloth advent calendars with pockets. They would fill the pockets with wrapped gifts. The tradition continues with my parents sending wrapped gifts for each day for our girls to have in a large shared hanging calendar.

Stockings - Our stockings are all handmade from a design that started with my dad's grandmother I believe. So each new person coming into the family gets a matching stocking made. Little cutie orange goes in the toe. Until about 5 years ago there was always one of those wrapped Lifesavers holiday candy books with the stocking.

Santa - Your biggest gift of the year comes from Santa and gets put out with the stockings after the kids are in bed on Christmas Eve. Wrapping paper with Santa on it is always used for stocking and Santa gifts. And Santa paper can only be used for those gifts. You NEVER, even as an adult talk about Santa not existing. If you insist on continuing said conversation no gifts will come from Santa to you that year. This has never been enforced but has been sternly mentioned several times.

Food - Christmas Eve is always a snack spread. Usually, sausages wrapped in pastry with mustard inside. Lefse potato bread to be coated with thin layers of butter and sugar and then rolled up. Cheese, crackers, meatballs, etc. Usually a big Thanksgiving like dinner Christmas night.

Presents - We like to make Christmas morning last. Stocking and Santa presents are opened once everyone is up. Then coffee and breakfast are made. Then the bounty under the tree is opened. One at a time with everyone watching. Usually, the kids take turns passing them out randomly.

This year is going to be a bit different with people getting into town on different days. The big unwrapping won't happen until the afternoon of the 26th and a big meal the next day. It will be usual, but at least the family gets to be together this year!

Back