The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are the differences between the Artist Club SS and DX?

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I see that there is a significant difference in price between the Feather Artist Club SS and DX. But is there much of a difference between the razors themselves? Inquiring Minds want to know!

Kind of what TJ mentioned. The majority of the difference is in the blade holder. The SS has the little curve/lip near where the blade extends from the holder; it forces a bit of a steeper angle, but is supposed to help smooth out the shave a little easier with less effort. A really fun tool to use.

The DX does not have the lip and the grind it mimics is a bit different. It is closer to an actual SR as far as Feathers go. I think it might be a bit heavier too? Not sure on that one. I hope to eventually have one; the wooden scales ones are beautiful.

Both are stainless steel, with the SS being the replacement for the older plated-brass RG (which had a similar head profile to the DX).

To me, the differences are:
- Head profile : The SS "bump" provides for less blade exposure than the DX, but it should not be viewed as "training wheels," just a different design.
- Scales : The DX offers a higher quality scale that the plastic "batman" SS scales.

Both shave well enough, with more chance for nicks and cat scratches from the DX. As for whether the price uplift is worth it, that is something only you can determine. For me, the SS is an excellent razor as it is.

Back