The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What about ants and spiders?

bosch

Master TSC Shave Member
Just terminated our pest control service after a couple years. You know how it goes (at least it went this way for me). They started out really well. Prompt service every 2 months. They called the day ahead. They called after the service to see how the technician performed. Within the last 6 months, quality of service has dropped. They changed technicians. The new technician lectured my wife on other services we needed. Price went up. You can't ever reach them. Have to send a text or leave a message neither of which are ever answered. It so happens that the founder has the exact same name as me. :oops: Founded the company 69 years ago. He died last year. The family sold the company to a major pest control company that we all know the name of. Yada, yada, yada. Absolutely horrible customer experience...

Anyway, we're on our own for the moment. Question: What's the best over the counter pest control product that TSC-ers have had success with?

Just terminated our pest control service after a couple years. You know how it goes (at least it went this way for me). They started out really well. Prompt service every 2 months. They called the day ahead. They called after the service to see how the technician performed. Within the last 6 months, quality of service has dropped. They changed technicians. The new technician lectured my wife on other services we needed. Price went up. You can't ever reach them. Have to send a text or leave a message neither of which are ever answered. It so happens that the founder has the exact same name as me. :oops: Founded the company 69 years ago. He died last year. The family sold the company to a major pest control company that we all know the name of. Yada, yada, yada. Absolutely horrible customer experience...

Anyway, we're on our own for the moment. Question: What's the best over the counter pest control product that TSC-ers have had success with?
Your biggest pest is Newsom, but I don't think it's legal to exterminate him. :p

This is what I use.

c99f8b4f-9629-4e74-ad12-2e9f6b0d0eb7_1.8d0dd9cc6ee6960b8ffe7a9a5146d910.jpeg

I have been using some stuff called Talstar

1599654177897.png

I use it sparingly myself and it seems to do the trick pretty well. The active ingredient is bifenthrin which I think is in a lot of things. But Talstar has some other stuff in it as well. I usually just use it around the foundation of my house and under cabinets under sinks and such indoors.

It's a concentrated formula so you need to mix it in a sprayer.

I am trying to move to more of an organic way to reduce pests myself. As we have the kid on the way. We also have a lot of lizards, geckos, frogs, and toads, as well as other creatures that indicate a very healthy yard. So I am trying to decide who to keep the nasty pests at bay without killing the good guys.

But Talstar works extremely well. Not the cheapest...but it lasts a long time.

I’ve been using Ortho Home Defense for several years in my home and travel trailer. Kills on contact as well as creates a “barrier” to prevent further infestations. Not sure where you are located, but works well in SE Michigan. Took care of ants when we moved into our current home back in March and fortunately haven’t seen many spiders.... which I promptly kill with this stuff when I do. I Also sprayed it all over basement and garage so hopefully that’s why I haven’t seen many.

I’ve been using Ortho Home Defense for several years in my home and travel trailer. Kills on contact as well as creates a “barrier” to prevent further infestations. Not sure where you are located, but works well in SE Michigan. Took care of ants when we moved into our current home back in March and fortunately haven’t seen many spiders.... which I promptly kill with this stuff when I do. I Also sprayed it all over basement and garage so hopefully that’s why I haven’t seen many.

That's what I use.

I use Bayer (n a blue bottle). I don't generally use any products in the house unless there is a VERY clear need, fortunately if I do what's needed outside I don't get anything inside. I mix a little strong by comparison to the instructions then spray 3ft up the wall and 3ft out, all the way around the perimeter of the house. I also hit the corners of the garage and the entire entry of the garage. If you have rocks, bark or other ground cover along walkways or near the house you can treat those areas too.

The Bayer stuff is great at everything but total ant control, for that the Amdro sprinkles are truly magical. For years I would be frustrated by mounds of little ants that would swarm and spread despite my spraying them and watching the pile of ants on the surface die. Then I used the Amdro, sprinkle sprinkle...nothing! The next evening the bait would be gone and a few days later I would notice there were no ants. The results of ONE little container have been amazing.

I am actually quite fortunate now to have a massive number of lizards living around my house. I have not had to do any serious bug control for almost 2 years now. What started as a couple very amorous dwarf dinosaurs has slowly become a veritable jurassic park of bug eating reptiles. Now, if I do spray I don't get many dead bugs showing up as proof of my work.

One more thing. Expect to eventually need to rotate your bug spray's. I usually prefer the Bayer but have had to rotate in the Ortho when i had a particularly hardy batch of bugs. As I understand it, very few bug sprays claim to be able to kills spiders unless you spray them directly (the dry residue kills other bugs but not spiders). If you have big spider issues you can use those sticky pads like you use to catch mice to catch spiders.

Back