The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What’s Horse Hair Like?

Gbsher

Shave Member
Hi Everyone,

I have never used a “horse hair” brush before. For those who have, can you tell me a bit about it?

Thanks much, Glenn

My opinion on the horse hair brush that I have is that it is too floppy and not enough backbone. Don't get me wrong it's a nice Brush just not for me.
I will put a better Knot in it at some point. Probably a 24 mm 70/30 mixed hair from Maggards. My favorite knots.
YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, more floppy than badger and most synthetics. I enjoy mine but it is best for softer soaps and bowl lathering (based on my technique and preferences). I don't know if all horse hair brushes are the same but mine is about 26mm with a noticeably higher loft (it looks long). I am sure the higher loft adds to the perception of it being floppy. Interestingly, I have a synthetic brush that I think it meant to mimic horse hair and I REALLY like it. The synthetic version has the softness without the added floppy.

I like them, they are kind of a middle road between a boar and a badger. It is skritchy at first, but not as much as a new boar and much more flexible. With more use the tips become much softer and THE SMELL of horse goes away pretty quickly.

I enjoy the two I have, but I just don't reach for them as much as I used to.

Haven’t ever used an actual horsehair brush before, but I have 2 synthetic versions and they are among my favorite knots. Both present as very soft and moderately floppy (having been set higher than a normal badger or synth knot might be). Very pleasant to use.

I have one of the Cremo horsehair brushes and like it.. Its not too soft and not too hard either...

Haven’t ever used an actual horsehair brush before, but I have 2 synthetic versions and they are among my favorite knots. Both present as very soft and moderately floppy (having been set higher than a normal badger or synth knot might be). Very pleasant to use.
Is one of the synthetics you mention the one with the rainbow handle? that is the one I am thinking of. It is a REALLY nice brush.

Is one of the synthetics you mention the one with the rainbow handle? that is the one I am thinking of. It is a REALLY nice brush.
I have the same one.
I think horse hair is one of the rare instances where synthetic is actually better.
I agree. Synthetic horse is kinda right in the middle of synthetics. But far nicer than actual horse. I had a vie long horse and it was super soft and floppy. Really only good for lathering creams, and lot for loading off a soap.

I also have a vie long horse and it lacks any noticeable backbone. I don't use it with soaps or creams but do occasionally apply talc with it.

Back