The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

wedge or spacer?

jimmie

Jr. Shave Member
wedges are a pain in my opinion. so somebody told me just use a spacer. I have no idea. I don't know about spacer material what they use how to decide how thick none of that. just putting a spacer in it would be nice though

I’m not sure exactly what it is you are asking. If you are referring to wedges being a royal pain to hone …I agree. A solution can be as simple as applying a layer or two of electrical tape on each side of the spine (remember, what you do to one side you must do to the other) then hone as usual. You might have to replace the tape as you hone depending on how aggressive your stone is. A layer or 2 of tape while honing doesn’t usually mean you need to change how you strop but if you use a pasted balsa strop you might need to stick with a layer of tape when using that.

Other than the tape on the spine trick (which can be useful when honing other razors too) I am not aware of any other spacers.

Are you asking about making Scales using a wedge verses making scales with spacers?
yes. I'm not so good at expressing myself LOL but yes making the wedge is difficult I put double-sided tape on my finger and just use more pressure and push it across sandpaper tape to the table LOL but they just don't go right for me LOL. somebody said just use your wedge spacer and don't make it into a wedge there's no need. so I asked, why would anybody ever make them if there's no need. then we got into the do's and don'ts and I posted this LOL. I just have a hard time making the wedge I take the little square piece and just try to thin it on one side. how is it supposed to be done?

keeping in mind. I know less than nothing. if any of you have kids that watch you doing this they know more than I do

I also want to apologize for my grammar. I don't have real good use of my hands and fingers, so I use talk and text. it doesn't always text what I say and I pushed the wrong button a lot of times. I know I can be hard to read. and I'm sorry for that I try to make it as readable as possible before I finally just give up and hit send. I tried to hit a and I hit d and then it's all downhill from there, I can't even remember what I was trying to say. but thank you guys for trying and being patient

I also want to apologize for my grammar. I don't have real good use of my hands and fingers, so I use talk and text. it doesn't always text what I say and I pushed the wrong button a lot of times. I know I can be hard to read. and I'm sorry for that I try to make it as readable as possible before I finally just give up and hit send. I tried to hit a and I hit d and then it's all downhill from there, I can't even remember what I was trying to say. but thank you guys for trying and being patient
No apologies needed. I'm like this...
spike-monkey-typing.gif

I knew there was a better way than using my finger. I tried using a fingernail thing that you send your fingernails with but I ran into different problems so I just use my finger. do you have a picture of this contraption? I cannot picture a step in a stick LOL. I tried to take this slow, but I'm going backwards more than anything LOL. reread everything 10 times until I figure out it makes perfect sense SMH

I use my finger tips. Grip the wedge material and push it against the disc sander.

I make a wedge like this...

Start with a small piece of material that is just a bit bigger than the shape it will need to be. Duh...

Bolt up the pivot end of your scales with the blade in place.

Mark the wedge material for the hole placement so that not a lot of gap is between the blade tip and the wedge. Drill.

Now place the wedge material between the scales in its position and close the blade. Decide if you want the blade to slip farther down between the scales or stand up more. Sand the wedge material thickness flat, not in a wedge shape just yet, until the blade sits in the scales as you want, or get a thicker piece to make the blade stand up more.
This is a lot of typing and explaining but you're just trying to get the blade to sit in the scales as you want.

When you have this then "unbolt the scales and remove the blade". Start making a wedge shape of your wedge material WITHOUT thinning the front edge of the material. The side that will be closest to the tip of the blade is already the proper thickness. Test fit and sand and test fit until you have about a 5/8" to 3/4" spread of the scales at the "pivot end". This will be about the proper wedge shape you want. Bolt it all together then finish sanding the outer shape of the wedge. to match your scales.

If you have done this correctly you will have a nice wedge shape, the thick part of the wedge will hold the scales apart just the right amount to let the blade set into the scales just the right amount, and the wedge will be the proper angle to make the scales flex to hold the blade tension correctly when opening and closing and sanded around the edge to match the shape of your scales.

Now for the best part of all this...
After you have made 10 or 12 wedges this way it becomes easier. LOL. Don't use a spacer! Learn to make scales and wedges properly. It's not hard, it just takes practice.

There is also a measuring way of doing this. Finding the angle of the tang at the pivot toward the tail. Adjusting your wedge to match this angle but using the thickness you need to hold the blade right in the scales. Then, Then , Then... I learned this exact way of making a wedge and its works. But in the end, I learned what really needs to be done to get a proper wedge. This is much easier as you make it and test it until it's right. One other thing most people don't talk about is a wedge is also wedge-shaped from top to bottom. Not just front to back. But that's getting picky.
If you have any questions please ask. I'm happy to help you to get a proper angle/wedge shape.

Last edited:
I use my finger tips. Grip the wedge material and push it against the disc sander.

Start with a small piece of material that is just a bit bigger than the shape it will need to be. Duh...

Mark the wedge material for the hole placement so that not a lot of gap is between the blade tip and the wedge. Drill.

Now place the wedge material between the scales in its position and close the blade. Decide if you want the blade to slip farther down between the scales or stand up more. Sand the wedge material thickness flat, not in a wedge shape just yet, until the blade sits in the scales as you want, or get a thicker piece to make the blade stand up more.
This is a lot of typing and explaining but you're just trying to get the blade to sit in the scales as you want.

When you have this then "unbolt the scales and remove the blade". Start making a wedge shape of your wedge material WITHOUT thinning the front edge of the material. The side that will be closest to the tip of the blade is already the proper thickness. Test fit and sand and test fit until you have about a 5/8" to 3/4" spread of the scales at the "pivot end". This will be about the proper wedge shape you want. Bolt it all together then finish sanding the outer shape of the wedge. to match your scales.

If you have done this correctly you will have a nice wedge shape, the thick part of the wedge will hold the scales apart just the right amount to let the blade set into the scales just the right amount, and the wedge will be the proper angle to make the scales flex to hold the blade tension correctly when opening and closing and sanded around the edge to match the shape of your scales.

After you have made 10 or 12 wedges this way it becomes easier. LOL. Don't use a spacer! Learn to make scales and wedges properly. It's not hard, it just takes practice.

There is also a measuring way of doing this. Finding the angle of the tang at the pivot toward the tail. Adjusting your wedge to match this angle but using the thickness you need to hold the blade right in the scales. Then, Then , Then... I learned this exact way of making a wedge and its works. But in the end, I learned what really needs to be done to get a proper wedge. This is much easier as you make it and test it until it's right. One other thing most people don't talk about is a wedge is also wedge-shaped from top to bottom. Not just front to back. But that's getting picky.
If you have any questions please ask. I'm happy to help you to get a proper angle/wedge shape.
don't ever worry about a explanation that is too detailed. this was perfect. I actually learned things I wasn't planning on learning LOL. the main thing is you said use a wedge LOL I think the guy that told me to use a spacer told me that because I was getting frustrated because it just wasn't working right. I didn't understand what it's purpose was. it made no sense, why does it need to get thinner? lol. some of them you notice the scales touch at the end, others do not. the more razors I got I noticed different behavior I just didn't know what was going on LOL. this is great. it goes from complicated to now I'm making fuel for rockets LOL

boy oh boy would that be nice. I will never get to see anyone do any of this in person. I learned it all from a nursing home room with no actual people that know anything about it LOL you would think there would be some older guys in here who used straights, but there is not a single one. there are two 90-year-old men in here LOL

Orville said he would rather skydive without a parachute then use one lol. I do see their point. I think I probably thought the same way. I just simply never have shaved. I took a disposable razor with no shaving cream and shaved just enough to quit itching LOL and that's it. that's my look lol. I was so looking forward to getting some really nice razor from one of these old people. and not a single one. oh well. it's more difficult to get people to try this then I thought. I do know too young women who use them on their legs though. I thought that was pretty neat that they bought them in Walmart. I had no idea they even sold the thing still. I thought it was purely a collectors things LOL but I can't get anybody that just wants to go get them one and try to learn to use it. they are missing it. sometimes I just leather my face up and wash it off LMAO it just feels good to put the brush on your face and the hot rag. wet rag, place in microwave for 10 seconds apply to face LOL.

you guys are really great to put up with new people. hopefully I won't be too new for too long. I get irritated when I find a video of some moron trying to tell me how to do something that I know more than he does LOL

I've had a couple guys I met on eBay or forums or somewhere I can't remember and I really think they know what they're doing by the way they talk, and the way you all talk and the way other people have talked LOL. I asked them to make me a video of them right now doing what they're telling me how to do but I can't get any of them to make me a video. I know a lot of this stuff is self-explanatory if you do it, but my OCD and the way I've lived my whole life won't let me do it until I'm comfortable to do it. the only way I get that comfort is by seeing it. and that will never happen unless somebody just happens to come to Oklahoma LOL

Great write up!

I'd make a video but someone would need to buy me a video camera then come show me how to use it.
I'm doing well if I can take a picture with my phone.
And that alone pisses me off.
It's a phone. Phone I say.
Not a pocket computer.
Damn Computers anyway!

I can't even upload pics here because it says my pics are too big. It's a micro-size thing on a device I hold in my hand. How can it be too big?

:mad:

I'd make a video but someone would need to buy me a video camera then come show me how to use it.
I'm doing well if I can take a picture with my phone.
And that alone pisses me off.
It's a phone. Phone I say.
Not a pocket computer.
Damn Computers anyway!

I can't even upload pics here because it says my pics are too big. It's a micro-size thing on a device I hold in my hand. How can it be too big?

:mad:
lunapic. com. upload your picture, click edit, resize image, I would say 400 x400 would work but I'm not sure mine uploaded the proper size by luck I'm guessing nothing I did LOL I'm with you on this technology bull

Or…
Text the picture you want to upload to yourself, it will automatically resize.
You can then copy and paste from the text.
Used to do it all the time, then I upgraded my Phone-Machine

Or…
Text the picture you want to upload to yourself, it will automatically resize.
You can then copy and paste from the text.
Used to do it all the time, then I upgraded my Phone-Machine
I didn't know we could text ourselves LOL. too complicated for me. my brother-in-law tried to explain to me how to change the size the picture took but I didn't bother trying to figure it out LOL I just go to Luna pic and resize it that way. and I didn't have to learn anything and use my valuable brain space LOL

I am someone who can walk and chew gum at the same time. the problem is, I walk into walls. and swallow my gum. still working on that lol

Back