The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Weather Radios

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Well considering the monstrous hurricane that is happening right now in Louisiana and Texas, I think it is appropriate to talk about weather radios.

In the past I have used radios like Grundig and other hand crank radios...I have to say...they are better than nothing...but overall they suck. Essentially, they are just a radio that you can listen to the weather band.

My wife purchased recently a Midland NOAA Weather Alert Radio. You can program this thing down to the county/parish and/or program it for several counties/parishes. Alerts can be set for everything from severe weather to avalanches. I wish this was model was able to pick up regular FM/AM stations (I guess we should have splurged), but I have other radios that can do that.

Yesterday this thing went crazy as we had a bunch of Tornado watches and warnings. We got alerts well before notifications on our phones. If you are in a situation where every second counts, then definitely consider a weather radio like this one. Not pushing this brand in particular...but promoting weather radios in general.

Well considering the monstrous hurricane that is happening right now in Louisiana and Texas, I think it is appropriate to talk about weather radios.

In the past I have used radios like Grundig and other hand crank radios...I have to say...they are better than nothing...but overall they suck. Essentially, they are just a radio that you can listen to the weather band.

My wife purchased recently a Midland NOAA Weather Alert Radio. You can program this thing down to the county/parish and/or program it for several counties/parishes. Alerts can be set for everything from severe weather to avalanches. I wish this was model was able to pick up regular FM/AM stations (I guess we should have splurged), but I have other radios that can do that.

Yesterday this thing went crazy as we had a bunch of Tornado watches and warnings. We got alerts well before notifications on our phones. If you are in a situation where every second counts, then definitely consider a weather radio like this one. Not pushing this brand in particular...but promoting weather radios in general.

Looks very similar to our Midland which I'm embarrassed to say I have turned off because around here it just goes off ALL the time with warnings 😋 Perhaps if we had that "weather snooze" feature it would be better.....😂

Looks very similar to our Midland which I'm embarrassed to say I have turned off because around here it just goes off ALL the time with warnings :cautious: Perhaps if we had that "weather snooze" feature it would be better.....😂
I have to admit that I haven't explored all the options. But yeah...you can't turn the tornado alerts off. So if you are in an area that has a lot of possible tornados...it would be very annoying. I can't see us having this thing on all the time. But during potential hurricanes it is good to have.

Thanks for the info, honestly I didn't know these existed. When camping we take a hand crank radio and tune to a weather station mainly due to flash floods, thunder storms, etc. But I guess ignorance is bliss out here where we don't have hurricanes, and have only ever had 1 tornado in Utah that was back in 1999. Stay safe out there. Catching up on Twitter it looks like it was a LONG night for a lot of people. 🙏

Thanks for the info, honestly I didn't know these existed. When camping we take a hand crank radio and tune to a weather station mainly due to flash floods, thunder storms, etc. But I guess ignorance is bliss out here where we don't have hurricanes, and have only ever had 1 tornado in Utah that was back in 1999. Stay safe out there. Catching up on Twitter it looks like it was a LONG night for a lot of people. 🙏
Thanks Chad. I tell you what...with these Hurricanes even 20 miles makes a HUGE difference. My area was relatively unaffected. Some power outages and some localized flooding. About an hour to the east of us...they had hurricane force winds and a lot of flooding. Two hours to the east of us and it was complete devastation. I feel very fortunate and blessed that we didn't receive much of this storm. Trying to deal with a pregnant wife, my in-laws (one of which just had surgery on her foot) who are not all that mobile, and a couple of dogs...it would have been very difficult. All that being said...my heart just breaks for the people in the Lake Charles areas of Louisiana. Coming from someone who lost their home four years ago (and many of you here helped me out in huge ways) my soul is full of sorrow for those in need right now.

Anyway...the weather radio might be a good idea for you when you go camping. It will alert you to bad weather and flash floods so you can get out of where you are at quicker. They even have hand held ones for hiking!

Back