The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Was Blackbeard really that bad?

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
"In May 1718, Blackbeard's pirate fleets appeared at Charleston, South Carolina. Soon they were stopping every vessel entering and leaving the harbor. Almost ten vessels were plundered before Charleston acted on the reoccurring problem. All incoming vessels were soon diverted from entering Charleston harbor and all vessels already within the harbor remained in port because of the siege from Blackbeard's fleet. Before this happened though, Blackbeard was able to take many important high-ranking citizens as prisoners hoping they would be useful. He held them for ransom for medical supplies and threatened to kill them all if he did not get his wish. Several days after sending one of the hostages and two of his crew to deliver the ransom note, he received his medical trunk and true to his word he released all the prisoners without a loss of life."

I have been listening to a variety of podcasts lately. One of them is the Our Fake History Podcast. The last two episodes have been about Blackbeard the Pirate. These two are really interesting because it puts Blackbeard in...well...maybe a slightly different light than we all thought about him.

How Bad was Blackbeard? (Part 1)
How Bad was Blackbeard? (Part 2)

Anyway...what is really interesting about the quote above is why would Blackbeard want medical supplies? Seriously...medical supplies from the Ruthless Edward Teach...if that was really his name. Previous to landing in Charleston, Blackbeard's fleet traveled the Mosquito Coast (Honduras) and it was thought that many of Teach's crew came down with Yellow Fever. But as the host of the Podcast said...while in Charleston...the crew acted a little too "Piratey" to have Yellow Fever. Meaning, Yellow Fever knocks you down and you can't really do much of anything.

The other theory...and probably likely...is that many of the crew maybe had a little too much fun while at the various ports and lands they traveled. Adult fun if you will. And quite certainly...contracted syphilis. So...in the early 1700s...how did you treat syphilis? Yeah...this one was really bizarre too me...but the treatment of syphilis was a mercury injection to the junk!

"In 1495 an epidemic of a new and terrible disease broke out among the soldiers of Charles VIII of France when he invaded Naples in the first of the Italian Wars, and its subsequent impact on the peoples of Europe was devastating – this was syphilis, or grande verole, the “great pox”. Although it didn’t have the horrendous mortality of the bubonic plague, its symptoms were painful and repulsive – the appearance of genital sores, followed by foul abscesses and ulcers over the rest of the body and severe pains. The remedies were few and hardly efficacious, the mercury inunctions and suffumigations that people endured were painful and many patients died of mercury poisoning."

So it is quite likely that Blackbeard's crew suffered from various stages of syphilis and medical supplies were worth more than gold, silver, or other booty! What do we have to support this theory?

In 1996, Blackbeard's ship, Queen Anne's Revenge, was found and ever since archaeologists and historians have been uncovering a trove of information. One of things found was an urethral syringe. The syringe was tested and mercury was determined to have been in it at one time!

"Among the finds was a urethral syringe that chemical analysis indicates originally contained mercury. Carnes-McNaughton told Live Science that this would have been used to treat syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease. "Eventually the mercury kills you," she said, explaining that the patient could suffer mercury poisoning."

So...medical supplies! Very interesting!

Thanks for putting up with my musings!

I'd always heard Blackbeard was actually a bit of a softy and much preferred to scare the crap out of the ships he overtook than to fight them. That way they'd just give up and loss of life was minimal.

I'd always heard Blackbeard was actually a bit of a softy and much preferred to scare the crap out of the ships he overtook than to fight them. That way they'd just give up and loss of life was minimal.

Yeah...this podcast really does a good job at separating fact from myth. It's a pretty decent listen and worth checking out!

Dude. I live literally almost in Blackbeard’s home town for the states (about an hour or so drive). These are awesome stories and mostly seem true.
I figured you would enjoy this! Despite the fact that it's about PIrates...GArr! The Pirate history and lore is really interesting. Some of the Pirates were just regular guys, some were wealthy land owners, some were military men, and others were educated! They really were a rag tag bunch of guys that had the will and want to go against the grain!

So I started the podcast this morning, but I didn't realize until 13 minutes in that I started on Part 2! Luckily it was only the basic intro that I heard and I quickly put on part 1. So far really good stuff though!

I figured you would enjoy this! Despite the fact that it's about PIrates...GArr! The Pirate history and lore is really interesting. Some of the Pirates were just regular guys, some were wealthy land owners, some were military men, and others were educated! They really were a rag tag bunch of guys that had the will and want to go against the grain!
You just described TSC my friend!

Blackbeard gets all the press nowadays, and he was definitely a master at self-promotion, in addition to being a ruthless bastard. He use to drink gunpowder in his rum, and keep his men below decks with burning brimstone to show them how much of a devil he could be.

That being said, for sheer success and influence he could never hold a candle to "Black Bart" Bartholomew Roberts. He was a Welsh sailor aboard a slave ship that was captured by Howell Davis, and was "invited" to join the crew when his skills as a navigator were discovered. Although he objected to his new profession he decided to make the most of himself and contribute to the best of his abilities. Howell Davis was killed about six weeks after Roberts joined the crew, and the new shipmate was elected to be captain by the remaining crew (yes, pirates actually practiced democracy). He went on to become the most notorious pirate of the age, with well-known blood feuds against the governors of Barbados and Martinique (he even featured those governors' skulls on one of his jolly rogers). He was so feared that just the sight of his fleet sailing into a harbor was enough to cause many ships to immediately strike their colors and surrender. Once, when ten of eleven ships surrendered without a shot fired, his crew boarded the eleventh ship under cover of night and burned her to the waterline, destroying her and all of her cargo just to make a point. Roberts was also widely acknowledged as the author of the most well know "Pirate Code" or articles which stipulated how money and responsibilities were to be divided, how to resolve disputes, how much a crew member would receive for loss of a body part (18th Century Workman's Comp!), and how they were to observe the Sabbath.

Blackbeard is widely regarded to have captured around 30 ships in his career between 1716 and 1718. Black Bart Roberts captured over 470 ships between 1719 and 1722.

How do I know all of this? Because I was a pirate, of course.

Interesting reading. We're watching Narcos and he sounds like a carbon copy of Escobar.

Blackbeard gets all the press nowadays, and he was definitely a master at self-promotion, in addition to being a ruthless bastard. He use to drink gunpowder in his rum, and keep his men below decks with burning brimstone to show them how much of a devil he could be.

That being said, for sheer success and influence he could never hold a candle to "Black Bart" Bartholomew Roberts. He was a Welsh sailor aboard a slave ship that was captured by Howell Davis, and was "invited" to join the crew when his skills as a navigator were discovered. Although he objected to his new profession he decided to make the most of himself and contribute to the best of his abilities. Howell Davis was killed about six weeks after Roberts joined the crew, and the new shipmate was elected to be captain by the remaining crew (yes, pirates actually practiced democracy). He went on to become the most notorious pirate of the age, with well-known blood feuds against the governors of Barbados and Martinique (he even featured those governors' skulls on one of his jolly rogers). He was so feared that just the sight of his fleet sailing into a harbor was enough to cause many ships to immediately strike their colors and surrender. Once, when ten of eleven ships surrendered without a shot fired, his crew boarded the eleventh ship under cover of night and burned her to the waterline, destroying her and all of her cargo just to make a point. Roberts was also widely acknowledged as the author of the most well know "Pirate Code" or articles which stipulated how money and responsibilities were to be divided, how to resolve disputes, how much a crew member would receive for loss of a body part (18th Century Workman's Comp!), and how they were to observe the Sabbath.

Blackbeard is widely regarded to have captured around 30 ships in his career between 1716 and 1718. Black Bart Roberts captured over 470 ships between 1719 and 1722.

How do I know all of this? Because I was a pirate, of course.

View attachment 6308

So the purpose of the podcast was really to separate fact from fiction and it seems that Black Beard was more legend than truth. But there were definitely more pirates in the golden age that were likely more piratey than Edward Teach.

So the purpose of the podcast was really to separate fact from fiction and it seems that Black Beard was more legend than truth. But there were definitely more pirates in the golden age that were likely more piratey than Edward Teach.
Make no mistake Blackbeard did his small share of pirating. But he was not the most feared or even the meanest. He regularly donated some of his plunder to the locals in Bath, NC and it is rumored that there are some alive today that are descended from his relationship with a local woman.

Back