The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Victory Shaving Company: FLIGHT ENGINEER.... A review

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder

• Review of: Victory Shaving Company "Flight Engineer" Shave Soap.
    A brand New Start up company ( Feb 2017 ) run by a husband and wife from Wyoming. As a ex Navy Vet, the love of WWII warbirds, and a passion for their restoration, the theme of the soaps is WWII Nose Art and positions within a Flight Crew. This review is for the above mentioned. Flight Engineer is an homage to those B-17 Bomber crews thart flew the South Pacific during the War. It captures the feel of an Atol and the Warm weather, sandy beaches, flora and fauna of a Pacific Island. The Fragrance is Bamboo, Ginger and a hint of Coconut. Combines they are very refreshing and wonderful.
    The Ingredient list is Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (Soy Wax), Water, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Kokum Butter, Shea Butter, Fragrance, Kaolin Clay, Bentonite Clay. There are no dies, or additives, and before you get that look on your face of an "Olive Oil Soap" DON'T. It does not affect it at all and I would place the characteristics and performance clearly in the realm of Stirling and Mystic Water. 4oz Tin with a nice "Military" Nose art, and waterproof labels from and back. the only negative is the tins are small for loading, similar to the WSP tins. It sells for $12.99, a good value in my opinion, and made in the USA. It should also be noted for the beginning shaver or as a collectible their "Special Mission Kit" is a wonderful idea
    Their website is:
    Victory Shaving Company

Initial Thoughts: (4.8/5.0)
    The initial; usage of this soap was lack luster at best, but it was ALL user error. I had bowl lathered, did not load long enough as it is a fairly hard soap and over watered. Performance was good but Tier 2 at best. This review is based on face lathering with a boar brush, a tablespoon of water to bloom and a 30-second load time. WHAT a DIFFERENCE. It was like a different soap and purely outstanding

Latherability (5.0/5.0)
    As stated above it does require a bit longer of a load, but well worth it. The proro-lather is very creamy, pasty, and thick. Almost exactly like Mystic Water of Stirling, although a tiny bit thinner. when water is added ( narrow water band, and slowly ) it explodes into an very slick non-airy platform. I do rate it a tad bit shinier and slicker that Mystic or Stirling. The combination of the clays and the olive oil may be a part of this. Once on the face just a few more drops of water make this a great medium for any type of razor used, including straight shaving, Very slick and holds well

On the Face: (4.9/5.0)
    just see above. It remains very hydrated, does not dry out and picture a slick (not sticky) marshmallow cream that is a bit thin. A bit different but WOW. Post Pass it leave the face very well nourished and residual slickness is fantastic ( unlike my 1st attempt) Again, water amounts are critical here.

Stability: (5.0/5.0)
    With the addition and the soap maker nailed it in my opinion it is as stable as any of the Tier 1 or even Elite status soaps ,it just does not dry out or dissipate.

Glide / Slickness: (4.8/5.0)

Wonderfully slick, residual good, but not quite elite status

Fragrance: (4.9/5.0 )
    The fragrance is quite strong without being overpowering. Builds in strength during the shave, and has a very nice post shave presence. The Combination of the Ginger, Bamboo and the tease of Coconut blends very well together and with that combination literally creates the feel of a South Pacific Island. Picture yourself in a episode of BAA BAA Black sheep on your off day from flying sitting on the beach. That is what this captures

Post Shave: (4.9/ 5.0 )
    Very nourishing, not drying, no tightness and really your could forego the Aftershave as the scent and face feel is tremendous. the one outstanding property is the softness your face will feel. Water only cleanup is easily possible, but why, when you can spread more of this stuff on you face. Rinses easily and again, leaves your face feeling refreshed and alive.

Summary: (34.3 / 35.0 )
    This shave soap is definitely worth the price of admission, and out performs some soaps at a much higher price point. It is in the league of Mystic, Stirling, maybe a bit higher of me and encroaches on SV and even PCN. I am reserving it to high Tier 1 for now, but with more usage it could become Elite.

It should also be noted the puck acts very similar to a triple milled soap, and very similar to Pdp as it appears as if you can never make a dent in the volume of this soap. This particular scent "FLIGHT ENGINEER" is highly recommended and more reviews to come on this great little start up artisan Victory Shaving Company.

Back