The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

VEZmerize - My aftershave blends

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
I have been wanting to do this for a very long time. Been talking about it here for a long time, and finally took the first step. Had the idea ever since I was working with Bootlegger's aftershaves at the other place. If you are familiar with A Dog From Every Town from @Majorrich , then you get the basic idea. My main reason for this, is that I do prefer some aftershaves over others within the same scent range. So some go unused. By mixing them, I mix the properties, and get all the benefits from all.... and some that may have shortcomings (e.g. too tacky, too stinging, etc), that get nullified or averaged out in the mix. And this way, they all get used up at the same rate, and nothing goes unused. From now on, If I want one of these scents I'll be reaching for my blend the majority of the time.

Phase 1
I bought a few 8oz bottles this week, so decided to start mixing. 1 oz of every aftershave I own that fits into the theme. I only bought 5 bottles thinking that was enough, but once I got mixing, I discovered I needed a couple more. One of the future mixes is not a DFET mix, but a custom blend of my own. Here is what I've made so far:

Bay Rum
Superior 70
Pinaud VIBR
Master BR (sound familiar so far??)
Captain's Choice BR
St. Johns BR
Grand Bay BR
Avon BR (the finest BR on the planet)
Gabels BR
Humphreys Alcoholoado Maravilla (witch haxel blen with light BR scent)

Yep there's a lot of Bay Rum in there! And yes, that's more than 8oz.... I have a backup bottle with the extra. Same goes for many of them that went over 8oz.

Lime
Avon Island Lime (Again, one of the finest Limes out there!)
Citrocol Lime
Gabels Lime
Pinaud Lime Sec
Pinaud Citrus Musk
Booster Iced Lime
Royall Lyme
ETHOS Fresh Lime
Saint Charles Shave Lime

I'm really surprised how many lime aftershaves I had!

Lilac
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Master Lilac Vegetol
Gabels Lilac
Stephans Lilac

Cool
Osage Rub
Gabels Sta-Cool
Stephans Alpine
Superior 70 Mentholated
Thayers Medicated
Isopropyl Alcohol Wintergreen

Musk
Aqua Velva Musk
Jovan Musk
Clubman Musk
Jeris Musk for Men
Avon Light Musk

So, looking at my lists above, is there anything that I missed, for future inclusion? Do not include Artisan scents. I only included the ones I happened to have on hand, but I don't intend to buy more to add. Only looking at commonly available, relatively inexpensive, or barber supply scents.

92833E63-A595-4551-B5D1-00F5E685EC32.jpeg

So what's Phase 2??
I have some 4oz bottles with reducers, but I don't have lids that work with the reducers. So I need to find new lids. Then I need to make my own labels for them. Still not sure which way I want to go with them. This may actually take me a while to complete, but I wanted to get this out there and see if anyone had any ideas about it, or anything I hadn't considered before I finalize it. Will update as I do more.

This is an ambitious but really awesome project KJ! I am very interested in what comes out of this.

Did you think about just a barbershop blend? With the like of stuff Aqua Velva or some of the Masters type aftershaves. I am sure you have a lot in that department. What about a "spicy" blend with Old Spice type scents or similar. How about a "blue" aftershave. I am sure the sky is the limit here!

Anyway...this is pretty epic!

Well now you have the making of a Vez Select AS! I like it “Vez No. 5”...the Bay Rum Pirates Forgot! :p...you will be trialling blends no or JUST going with the 1oz each?

Where's the fun if they're not kinda disjointed? :ROFLMAO: Somebody's garbage scent might be your favorite. Science or whatever!
We’re all kinda disjointed! :LOL: So why not the barbershop scent? They’ve mixed Tabac with The Veg! That’s what WE do! (Complete disclaimer...WE does not include me...just sayin) Apparently it’s good!

Did you think about just a barbershop blend? With the like of stuff Aqua Velva or some of the Masters type aftershaves. I am sure you have a lot in that department. What about a "spicy" blend with Old Spice type scents or similar. How about a "blue" aftershave. I am sure the sky is the limit here!
Yeah, once I get done with what I want, I may look at other blends. Definitely the Pinaud Booze line is intriguing...... "Pinaud Ice Tea" (derived from Long Island.....) I'll be testing that mix up soon. Barbershop is an interesting idea.
I was going to mention the Barbershop blends as well.
Not sure what all I have that qualifies.
DFET FTW!
Absolutely!!
Well now you have the making of a Vez Select AS! I like it “Vez No. 5”...the Bay Rum Pirates Forgot! :p...you will be trialling blends no or JUST going with the 1oz each?
I'm impartial to a VEZ No. 42! Pretty much 1oz of each. When I test batches I always start with equal amounts. Only if something seems overpowering, then I'll alter it. But for DFET blend a 1:1:1:1...... ratio seems to fit just fine.
+2 - would be fun to mix barbershop scents together! Although that said, barbershop is such a relative scent a mix of a bunch of them might be a little disjointed!
Exactly. I have a bunch of stuff that's probably individually considered barbershop, but wouldn't go well together.
Science or whatever!
tenor.gif

It Is! And that should include you!
I have to lay paw to that bad boy...it has become the thing of legend! I was commenting that I had no part in It’s glorious creation...so no credit to moi!

I have to lay paw to that bad boy...it has become the thing of legend!
In fact, Tabac-A-Veg is one that I need to mix up to keep on hand. Need to get some more Tabac AS though. Used up the last of mine sending samples to @ShawnF so he could try the wonder of The Veg, Tabac, and Tabac-A-Veg!

KJ, is Avon bay rum clovey? I'm interested in trying a few Avon aftershaves but I'm reluctant to try the bay rum because Superior 70 is the only one I've tried that I like.

KJ, is Avon bay rum clovey? I'm interested in trying a few Avon aftershaves but I'm reluctant to try the bay rum because Superior 70 is the only one I've tried that I like.
If you are looking for a good bay rum with zero clove I recommend RazoRock Black Bay which is a great soap, zero clove and addictive! Matching AS is great too! Just a my 2 cents...

No, it isn't. And other good ones that aren't clovey are Master and St. Johns.

Back