The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Upcoming Show Topic #2 - Shavettes VS Straight Razors Opinions / Pros / Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
In perusing the threads a good discussion on the merits of both Shavettes, Weck Styles, and traditional straights Give us your thoughts

Good topic! Would like to hear your thoughts on the differences in technique, if any, between the two. I've always found the shavette needed an even lighter pressure and could be used with a slightly more steep angle (spine a bit more away from the face).

Hey, I posted several videos where I shaved with a shavettes with no issues. You just need to stick with the pros.

@NurseDave i have been scouring YouTube checking out all forms of videos. I will take it slow and listen to the pros! This thread I will following closely. However, @woodpusher no “Frankie Says Blue Steel” t-shirt for you!

I will leave the experts to discuss this one...as I have not mastered any of these. If anyone is interested in what NOT to do with a Barber Straight with a DE blade...watch this:

Shavettes have their place, I believe they can be a cruel mistress in training technique being quick to punish lapses in angle and pressure issues. The AC style shavettes to a far lesser degree. They can come pretty close to a true straight experience, although the blades are shorter. But.. if one can master these, going to a true straight is a beautiful thing. Straights however, are not without their little problems too. Gotta keep ‘em honed and stropped. Dry! (Especially for the majority of my straights) and careful not to drop them lest the deform or crack.

Switching between traditional straight razor and AC style straight razors while learning, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the topic starters folks, Thanks thread is closed Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back