The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Undeniably Beautiful Music Albums

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
First off, I am not really sure how this thread is going to go. To be honest I just wanted to talk about one of my favorite albums of all time. Let me just say that I find it a bit therapeutic. Though I will probably just sound like a middle school teenager expressing his or her feelings on social media by posting a song lyric. But instead of just having a thread about that one album, I thought a thread about all of our favorite and beautiful albums?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or so it has been said (exactly by Margaret Wolfe Hungerford...not so exactly by the likes of Shakespeare and Benjamin Franklin)..so it stands to reason that beautiful music can take many forms,,,rock, pop, opera, classical, polka (yeah even polka). So this thread will be dedicated to all those albums that you...the TSC member...has meaning to you or you just like how all of it is put together. If so inclined, maybe a little explanation as to why you think this is an Undeniably Beautiful Music Album.

So...I guess I will go first.

The Forgotten Arm.jpg

Okay something that you should all know about me. For the longest time (and even now I guess) I have had the propensity toward music that might lean toward the sad or depressing side. I would call it melancholy...my friends call it "sad bastard music." This mood comes and goes...I guess that mood is back again. Okay enough of that.

But in all serious...I do have an inclination for singer/songwriter music. As such, I am a HUGE fan of Aimee Mann. Who is Aimee Mann you say? Oddly enough most people that lived in the 80s, in some form or fashion, have heard her as she was the lead singer and founder of a group called 'Til Tuesday. Their most famous song, was of course, "Voices Carry." You might also know her from the movie "The Big Lebowski" as the nihilist who gave up her toe for the elaborate fake kidnapping scheme. But I am getting way off course.

I am a sucker for concept albums, from "Tommy" by the Who to "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd From "American Idiot" by Green Day to "The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire. It's the long form version of telling a story through music. One album that tells a cohesive story. "The Forgotten Arm" by Aimee Mann is no exception.

I will admit that Aimee Mann isn't the best singer. She isn't the best musician. But that woman can write a song. Think of Bob Dylan...but you know...a woman.

"The Forgotten Arm" came out in 2005. Roughly the same time as some of my other favorite albums (or at least I discovered them about the same time): Arcade Fire's "Funeral," The National's "Boxer," and Muse's "Absolution."

This album really caught my attention as there is a very raw and emotional feeling to this music. As such, Aimee Mann through various interviews revealed that "The story in The Forgotten Arm is girl (Caroline) meets boxer (John) at a county fair, boxer and girl go gaga for each other, boxer and girl go on the road, boxer is addicted to drugs, girl cuts boxer loose, boxer wises up to his problem and quits the stuff, boxer and girl ride off into the sunset. The title of the album refers to a boxing maneuver wherein a fighter in close quarters uses one arm to punch and lets the other arm hide in plain sight, waiting to land a surprise blow. No doubt this idea of a sucker punch fits perfectly with the ups and downs of Caroline and John's cross-country tryst-- falling in love, learning about your lover's drug addiction, the addict finding out he's being dumped. It's also a maneuver Mann uses adeptly within songs, dropping in a deceptively powerful detail that snaps a scene into sharp focus, like this couplet from "The King in the Jailhouse": "...they pack up their troubles in an old Cadillac-- that's her in the mirror, asleep in the back."

Okay, I'll admit this sounds a bit like a Thelma & Louise type movie. But once you listen to the album...I assure you that it is nothing like Thelma & Louise. The music itself is beautifully orchestrated...and sad. It's sad because you really feel the rawness of what each character is going through. It's a rollercoaster of another person's emotions. But it's more than that. I don't know. The music is highly relatable even if you have never been in such a toxic love affair.

I love just about every song on the album. But admittedly, I have my favorites. Like..."Little Bombs." A song that illustrates a hyperbole of hopelessness and hope. I can only imagine that the character John in the song had been a big part of life and is now only a spectator and he is coming to terms with it. Or maybe it's a man that squandered opportunities and thought that even if he failed...he would fail in a huge explosion...only to realize that his failure just amounted to something more of a...fizzle.

The subsequent song "That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart" is just as powerful and beautiful. From the perspective of the female lead in this story, Caroline, the first set of lyrics read:

I drew a picture of you
You and your anchor tattoo
And saw the face that I knew
Covered in shame
You drew a bird that was here
A kind of sweet chanticleer
But with a terrible fear
That the cage couldn't tame

That's how I knew this story would break my heart
When you wrote it
That's how I knew this story would break my heart

Okay...by now you must think I have lost my rocker. Well I have...I will admit it. And I understand that my affinity toward this Album specifically is not likely to get the rest of you rushing out to listen to it. But if there was ever an album that put the human condition on display and explain it through song...it is this album.

To my ears, this album is undeniably beautiful!

Okay, so...do I dare as? What are your Undeniably Beautiful Music Albums. I have more...if you can put up with it...but I want to here yours. A couple of songs from the album linked below.

Last edited:
Very cool thing to share Don. I was expecting to listen to it and it not be my thing. I can get down with that. Back in the days of Tower Records and listening stations where we could stand around sampling CDs, I'd search out modern folk music. I could see her almost fitting into that category. For me it's meant for times nobody is home so I can actually listen as opposed to car music.

Very cool thing to share Don. I was expecting to listen to it and it not be my thing. I can get down with that. Back in the days of Tower Records and listening stations where we could stand around sampling CDs, I'd search out modern folk music. I could see her almost fitting into that category. For me it's meant for times nobody is home so I can actually listen as opposed to car music.
Dave...You hit on the head. It's music for You/Me time. I don't know how many times I have put the headphones on and listened to this album on repeat. Prior to today...I hadn't listened to this Album in a very long time. Oh...and I definitely remember the listening stations at Tower Records!

So many possibilities so I'll just go with the first that popped into my head, Jane Siberry's When I Was A Boy" (1993).

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
I'm not familiar, but I will definitely give it listen tonight! Thanks for sharing!

Absolutely so glad that you shared this with us my friend!

I am a huge Amy Mann - she is such a talent! From her ‘Til Tuesday stage through her journey as a solo artist - just wow! Plus she was in The Big Lebowski!

thank you so much for bringing this personal note!

Great topic......now I have to spend the next year posting here....

1640102019264.png

Peaks and Valleys by Colin Hay (former lead singer for Men At Work)

Absolutely LOVE this album. Start to finish. My favorite song being "Into The Cornfields". Had a chance to see Colin at a small club near my house in Santa Monica back in the early 90's and there was only about 35 people in the place. After doing about 4 or 5 songs, he asked the crowd if there was any songs they wanted to hear. The usual Men At Work songs were yelled out: Who Can It Be Now?....Down Under...Be Good Johnny. I was standing right in front and I said ".....Into The Cornfields?" And Colin says, "Oh....I'll play that" and launches into the song. COOL!!! He plays 3 more songs and asks if there are any more requests......same response from the crowd...I say "Against The Tide" (which is not on this album but also a great song) and Colin says, "oooooo, good choice" and plays it. Toward the end of the show he asks a third time....this time he looks right at me and says "well......what'll it be?" So I reach back into the Colin Hay archives and pull out "Can I hold You?" from his first solo album. Colin played 15-18 songs that night and 3 of them were personally played for me. After the show, he was hanging out near the bar and my wife and I were heading toward the door and he grabbed my arm and said "don't leave" so we hung back for a minute while he signed some guys stack of albums and then I spent 20 minutes thanking one of my musical heroes for the gifts he had given to us. Still stuns me that entire night happened.

Great topic......now I have to spend the next year posting here....

View attachment 70797

Peaks and Valleys by Colin Hay (former lead singer for Men At Work)

Absolutely LOVE this album. Start to finish. My favorite song being "Into The Cornfields". Had a chance to see Colin at a small club near my house in Santa Monica back in the early 90's and there was only about 35 people in the place. After doing about 4 or 5 songs, he asked the crowd if there was any songs they wanted to hear. The usual Men At Work songs were yelled out: Who Can It Be Now?....Down Under...Be Good Johnny. I was standing right in front and I said ".....Into The Cornfields?" And Colin says, "Oh....I'll play that" and launches into the song. COOL!!! He plays 3 more songs and asks if there are any more requests......same response from the crowd...I say "Against The Tide" (which is not on this album but also a great song) and Colin says, "oooooo, good choice" and plays it. Toward the end of the show he asks a third time....this time he looks right at me and says "well......what'll it be?" So I reach back into the Colin Hay archives and pull out "Can I hold You?" from his first solo album. Colin played 15-18 songs that night and 3 of them were personally played for me. After the show, he was hanging out near the bar and my wife and I were heading toward the door and he grabbed my arm and said "don't leave" so we hung back for a minute while he signed some guys stack of albums and then I spent 20 minutes thanking one of my musical heroes for the gifts he had given to us. Still stuns me that entire night happened.

That is amazing! I don't really have any cool stories like that. But now I have to listen to this album! I have heard some acoustic stuff by Colin Hay in the past, but never gave it much attention. Looks like I will be settling in soon listening to this. Thanks for sharing!

Here in Vegas (and also in Phoenix) there's a great record shop called Zia Records. I've spent many a day in there wandering among the bins looking for the next musical obsession and listening to the albums that the staff picks to play over their speakers. So this was one of those days when the staff and I were on a similar wavelength and I was about to learn of an artist that was only days away from becoming a huge deal but also was about to become my newest musical obsession.

I have a very soft spot in my listening heart for female singers (Stevie Nicks, Pat Benatar, Blondie, Tory Amos) so I was intrigued by the singer that was coming over the speakers that day. The first few songs were catchy and she had incredible range and lots of style to her voice......and then this song came on....

I immediately walked up to the counter and said, "I need to know who this is and what the album is called". The girl behind the counter smiled and told me who it was and handed a copy, fresh out of the box she was taking it out of and putting prices on.

Adele blows me away every time she sings. Its one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard. Then you hear her talk (and I've got a thing about english girls and their accents) and my heart completely melts. It also helps that she's funny as hell and just a bit salty.

The album is simply stunning. And she's only 19 years old!!!!! I know that her next album was the international, monster hit but this was where her chops are being put on display for the first time and its not a half-assed first album. She really goes for it on the first try.

Ever since i heard the sweet pshycedelic toons of jimi hendrix ive been a big fan of all his music. the first song i heard of his was all along the watchtower back in my high school days. i really dig the first rays album art pretty good album too.

Attachments

• R-399202-1243586147.jpeg.jpg
    R-399202-1243586147.jpeg.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
Great thread @dangerousdon!

I could listen to When I Fall in Love, by Chris Botti everyday for the rest of my life and it would still move me. I originally found this album while studying at the library during my junior year at Missouri State University. This was my first Jazz album and the one that got me into many other artist and drove me down the road of being a musically diverse consumer. I now own most of Chris’s albums and have seen him in concert every chance I’ve gotten.

Here in Vegas (and also in Phoenix) there's a great record shop called Zia Records. I've spent many a day in there wandering among the bins looking for the next musical obsession and listening to the albums that the staff picks to play over their speakers. So this was one of those days when the staff and I were on a similar wavelength and I was about to learn of an artist that was only days away from becoming a huge deal but also was about to become my newest musical obsession.

I have a very soft spot in my listening heart for female singers (Stevie Nicks, Pat Benatar, Blondie, Tory Amos) so I was intrigued by the singer that was coming over the speakers that day. The first few songs were catchy and she had incredible range and lots of style to her voice......and then this song came on....

I immediately walked up to the counter and said, "I need to know who this is and what the album is called". The girl behind the counter smiled and told me who it was and handed a copy, fresh out of the box she was taking it out of and putting prices on.

Adele blows me away every time she sings. Its one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard. Then you hear her talk (and I've got a thing about english girls and their accents) and my heart completely melts. It also helps that she's funny as hell and just a bit salty.

The album is simply stunning. And she's only 19 years old!!!!! I know that her next album was the international, monster hit but this was where her chops are being put on display for the first time and its not a half-assed first album. She really goes for it on the first try.
Tucson Too, Have not heard Zia in awhile, LOL

Some really solid contenders here guys! I have a few more contributions that I will share. Hopefully get to one of them today.

This thread is talking about what I call my melty music. Music that when I hear it, makes my mind sink into my body, and makes my body melt into my chair. It just puts me at peace, and makes everything else disappear. It's an instant calming effect and takes any weight off my shoulders. And not figuratively. I literally feel the difference in my body as soon as a melty song comes on. One of my favorite bands for Melty Music, is The Cure. And the album Disintegration is a masterpiece.

Even South Park agrees!

Seriously, pretty much any album by Pink Floyd. But especially this one:

The Division Bell

This thread is talking about what I call my melty music. Music that when I hear it, makes my mind sink into my body, and makes my body melt into my chair. It just puts me at peace, and makes everything else disappear. It's an instant calming effect and takes any weight off my shoulders. And not figuratively. I literally feel the difference in my body as soon as a melty song comes on. One of my favorite bands for Melty Music, is The Cure. And the album Disintegration is a masterpiece.

Even South Park agrees!
Great choices, both! Here is one of my favorite, "beautiful" albums.

Sting's 1991 masterpiece, "The Soul Cages". It's a dark, introspective album that deals with life, death, loss and relationships between fathers and sons.. Sting uses the "sea" or "sailing" as metaphors for life & death, personal growth and coming to terms with loss. It's a genuinely beautiful album from start to finish. If you've never heard it, you really should.

R-1208773-1405779010-5290.jpeg.jpg

Back