The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Two questions ...about brushes and repair

Z-2

Hello,

My first question is about synthetics. I am completely new to synthetic brushes, and I have own only 1 - Yaqi Tuxedo 24 mm, which I like. My question is to you, more experienced users - what should be my next choice? I see a lot of different synthetic hair types, and I may get mew or timber wolf. Or maybe pony, mink or snow leopard?
I prefer more softer knot and maybe more floppy for face lathering.

My second question is about one razor, which I've got a while back. This is 40s Super Speed, which seems in very good condition, except one very deep scratch (to brass) on the door. It is little annoying. Are there any method to repair it? I will appreciate all suggestions !

qt.png

I'm no expert, whatsoever, but regarding the brush question... I find the Yaqi Mew Brown (synth Moka or Purple haze has this) to be softer their others I've tried, with a little less backbone. The brown knot (that emulate horse hair) SHOULD be their floppiest, I'm my memory is correct. Someone here uses, and likes, the Yaqi Rainbow (Brown synth). Hopefully they'll chime in.

Additionally, PAA makes a handful of brushes which all tend towards floppy IMO. Their Green Ray is a Brown Synth that is supposed to be pretty soft and floppy (and quite the looker, imo). @MarkB could weight in with much more detail, as he has most (if not all) of the PAA brushes.

In the end, you'd do well waiting for some more seasoned responses. My experience is quite finite compared to many of the seasoned veterans here. [emoji106]

______

Regarding the razor, with a deep gouge, I Don't know what you can do short of having it refinished. There's a few companies who do that, but I don't know if TTO razors are included... Best to explore. It'll be somewhat expensive, though.

Again, we have a plethora of knowledge on this Board. Someone better than I can weigh in on this, too.

Good luck!

Reactions: Z-2
I am located in small country in Europe (Bulgaria), and buying brushes from USA is not very smart (shipping is more than brush itself) :)
So, I will stick with aliexpress and Yaqi, where shipping is free.

I have not tried a mew or timberwolf knot yet, but I do have the Yaqi Rainbow w/ pony knot (as Paul mentioned). It is my favorite synthetic so far. It’s my softest synth and has a moderate amount of flop without being a total wet noodle.

I’d agree that the razor would probably need to be sent out for a repair and replate but unless the razor holds special meaning to you, for the amount of expense it would take you could probably deal with the scratch and get a new razor.

I am located in small country in Europe (Bulgaria), and buying brushes from USA is not very smart (shipping is more than brush itself) :)
So, I will stick with aliexpress and Yaqi, where shipping is free.
Gotcha. Then you are mostly in the Yaqi, DSCosmetic, Oumo, etc brush market. You may like the Pony synth @GearNoir mentioned. I believe it is a 26mm.

Here's some pics for ya, fwiw... (The purple one is my talc brush, ignore the powder all over it, lol). Also, the design inspiration for the Moka... An italian espresso pot.
f00e55b9b1b303b6b4d0c7161f9a2ecf.jpg
2b670fb597040ad66e774961eff3d048.jpg

df20f6546840d93aea60471f41e0f227.jpg

I can’t add much more than has already been said about the brushes, horse hair is usually a “floppier” knot so I assume a synthetic claiming to be like horse hair would be somewhat more floppy by comparison. Most synthetics are going to be soft to the touch even when they try to be scratchy, so you are pretty safe getting a synthetic “horse hair”. I have those Yaqui brushes on order myself but have not tried them.

As far as the razor goes. I would say you don’t NEED to repair it but as I understand you are annoyed by the scratch and WANT to repair it. There really aren’t any home repairs you can do that will truly repair the scratch but you can do some things to make it less noticeable and to prevent further future damage. You can HAND polish the razor with a good polish like flitz or even a car mag wheel polish, something that is very minimally abrasive and designed for soft metals would be best. Once you’ve polished the razor you can brush some clear nail polish or clear acrylic model paint into the scratch and buff it smooth with a rag once it’s dried. Sometimes polishing alone does what you want but you describe a deeper scratch so it doesn’t sound like that is the case here.

Sometimes when you have deep scratches even sending the razor out for a re-plate will lead to disappointment because what you get back is a replated razor that still shows where the scratch used to be, it’s just a replated scratch now. Not all repair shops put the work in to ensure the finished product looks great.

Thank you for your answers, I will try to find something similar like flitz (american product, which is not sold here), or first with toothpaste (I read they can polish a little too).
I tried to make more smooth surface with my nail, because the scratch feels somehow rough on my skin, but without too much success.
The razor is in great mechanical condition and seems very light used (tiny brass shown under the head, but they are vintage razors at all).

About Yaqi - I will look on these models, for sure !

Thank you again ! :)

For synthetic knots, I highly recommend the Mew knot.
It's one of my favorites to use regardless of the hair type.
It leans more towards the floppy side, but its level of density definitely keeps it away from being too floppy.
They're also the same knots that AP Shave Co call the 'Synbad' knot. So if you're looking for more feedback, use that term when searching as it will probably generate much more results.

Based on reviews, the Simpsons synthetic 'T' line seem to be getting a lot of positive feedback as well, with the T3 being mentioned the most, from what I've seen. These ought to be much easier to acquire in Europe.
You could also see what 'Zenith' have to offer.

As for the razor....there are options, but nothing that I know of in Europe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201105-092043_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201105-092043_Chrome.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Z-2
Back