The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tide Pool Scent

Low tide areas sometimes smell bad, with a rotting seaweed odor, especially under a hot sun. But I remember when I was growing up in Southern California, and later while studying marine biology at Oregon State U - driving over to the coast each week to collect fresh seawater in big lidded buckets to refresh the department's saltwater aquaria - that I loved the really fresh, rich fragrance of the rocky tide pools. The scent was especially good when the tide was coming in or going out, so that the waves splashed it into the air. Does anyone here know of any shaving products that capture that kind of ambience (other than ones that are straight seaweed)?
Thanks.

The original Tallow and Steel Kyoto had a bit of that with a strong seaweed note, but it didn't have that brine scent. Spent a lot of time around tide pools myself in CA when I was younger. Marine biology was one of my favorite subjects in when I was a kid.

I think T+S maybe coming out with another seaweed scent soon, if the photo on the preannounce is anything to go by.

Interesting. I am reading this now.

My ‘Coney Island After Dark’ frag launch was a dismal failure. Critics panned its lack of ‘Jersey landfill’.

The original Tallow and Steel Kyoto had a bit of that with a strong seaweed note, but it didn't have that brine scent. Spent a lot of time around tide pools myself in CA when I was younger. Marine biology was one of my favorite subjects in when I was a kid.

I think T+S maybe coming out with another seaweed scent soon, if the photo on the preannounce is anything to go by.
Cannery Row in Monterey has great olfactory memories for me.

Man…if the guy who writes our “fragrance terms” thread is having trouble finding a certain scent…we’re all in trouble! 😂

I haven’t been big on blue/aquatic fragrances. They just feel average for me for the most part. Out of the few I’ve smelled though (aka I don’t have extensive experience), Tom Ford Oud Minerale has been the standout by far. It’s more of a dry, salty, woody scent though, with just a smidge of grey-blue vibe around the edges.

Man…if the guy who writes our “fragrance terms” thread is having trouble finding a certain scent…we’re all in trouble! 😂

I haven’t been big on blue/aquatic fragrances. They just feel average for me for the most part. Out of the few I’ve smelled though (aka I don’t have extensive experience), Tom Ford Oud Minerale has been the standout by far. It’s more of a dry, salty, woody scent though, with just a smidge of grey-blue vibe around the edges.

There are various oceanic or marine scents available. Several 'unisex' ones that are said to evoke tide pools are:
Heeley Sel Marin
Solstice Sea of Gray
Tom Ford Oud Minérale
Profumum Roma Acqua di Sale
Haeckels 51° 19’ 9”N / 1° 21’ 30”E (Pegwell Bay)
Hermes Un Jardin Sur la Lagune
Demeter Salt Air
Les Nez l'Antimatiere
X-ray Amnesia
Hermes Épice Marine
Cale Fragranze d'Autore Libera Mente
Pierre Guillaume Bois Naufragé 16.1

And there are lot of 'seaweed' fragrances, including:
Bvlgari Aqva pour Homme (various)
Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2013
Acqua dell Elba Classica
Orlane Derrick Blue
Ayala Moriel Orcas
Aramis Adventurer
Penhaligon's Blasted Heath
Alma de Canarias Oceano
Dzintars Korvete
Perry Ellis Platinum Label
Antonio Visconti Soir de Mer
Ralph Lauren Polo Sport
l'Occitane en Provence Bois Flotté
Brocard Terra Incognita Secret Island
Armani Acqua di Giò Absolu Instinct
Davidoff Cool Water Ocean Extreme

But as far as I know, there are NO corresponding shaving soaps or aftershaves.
I should note, too, that I have used Mühle sea buckthorn and didn't really like it very much. I didn't dislike it, but it just didn't do anything for me. I also tried AoS Ocean Kelp cream. And some folks say that T&H 1805 is 'oceanic,' but it didn't strike that chord with me.

Last edited:
Back