The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Weird and Wonderful World of Shaving

HMan

Doften Savant
A couple of musings I've had lately.

1) Razor rotations. I can use a razor, get a great shave one day, then after a few days with that same razor, the shave isn't as good, and I go to the next that strikes my fancy. You'd think that the shaves would be consistent or get better, but that's not always the case IME.

2) Handle lengths. Some people declare, that they like long handles, others short. It's all good but to me, they are just different. A long handle my suit one razor, like a Slim, and a short another, like a NEW with a bar handle. I can't say I like one more than the other as long as they work well as a package.

What are your shaving weird and wonderfuls?

Regarding your rotations.... when I get into a groove with a razor, I rarely put it down. I've been using my AS-D2 for at least 3 months straight. Usually it's something posted on here that makes me want to try something different or revisit something I haven't used in a while. But in the end, I usually return to one of just a few razors.

Regarding your rotations.... when I get into a groove with a razor, I rarely put it down. I've been using my AS-D2 for at least 3 months straight. Usually it's something posted on here that makes me want to try something different or revisit something I haven't used in a while. But in the end, I usually return to one of just a few razors.
Yeah, I'd noticed you were using the AS-D2 a lot. Seems like a nice place to land after the Yuma. I've yet to try one, but knowing we tend to both like milder razors, has me thinking.

Let’s see...

1 - with only a few exceptions, the longer I used a razor for consecutive shaves, the better the shaves get, even if they started out mediocre.

2 - I’m with you Cole...I like many different handle shapes and sizes, and have never bothered to find a balance or add/remove weight. I normally just use a razor with the handle it comes to me on.

Haven’t thought of any of my own weird/wonderfuls yet.

For about the first 4 years of traditional wet shaving I used the same razor, same brush, and only a handful of soaps. I guess that probably qualifies as a bit odd around here.

Like @GearNoir I normally just use the handle that came with the razor. The one exception I can think of is a RazoRock razor that had the Radio Knob handle. I'm a big fan of RR and I really liked the look of the Radio Knob handle, but it just never felt like it had the right balance to me so I did swap it out for a different one when I used that razor.

Back