The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The web a long time ago...

erikag

Shave Newbie
In the early days of the web like in the late 90s or early 2000s, would we have been able to find very useful shave tips like today on maybe yahoo or google search engines?

In the early days of the web like in the late 90s or early 2000s, would we have been able to find very useful shave tips like today on maybe yahoo or google search engines?
I highly doubt it. We are blessed

I highly doubt it. We are blessed
This is why i ask. I found this on internet archive and its from february 29 2000. It doesnt even bother to say shave in the shower or leave the shave gel lather on for several minutes on your face before shaving as to soften facial hair. I checked on archive for gillette, bic, edge shave gel, merkur, edwin jagger, muhle/muehle, and proraso and none of these guys for the first quarter of 2000 had bothered to post any real specific shaving tips! If in mid february of 2000 someone did a google search, ehat kind of shaving tips would they expect to find then?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231222-133801_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222-133801_Chrome.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 6
Im talking about cartridge razor shaving....
@erikag, the majority of folks on this forum have used cart razors, but found them lacking for one reason or another. So most of us have found our way to a more traditional form of wet shaving utilizing double edge safety razors and/or straight razors and those are the main focus of this forum.

I discovered traditional wet shaving in 2010, from a variety of websites, but all of those started 2005 or later.

Before that, I could only speculate. But I’d venture to say that the forum like options were few and the info/collective knowledge in the resurgence of traditional wet shaving was thin/scattered.

As far as the knowledge in regards to using cartridge razors?……

Well, I have to extrapolate, from my own experience (and what I’ve read from others over the years), that we learned from 3 places:

1. Hand me down knowledge from our fathers (if we were lucky).
2. Marketing and commercials, “showing” us what to do.
3. Trial and Error! My mom bought me my first razor, my dad didn’t shave, so here’s where I sit primarily.

The few internet resources that existed until the early 2000’s, were small niche communities, and I doubt many of them were dedicated to shaving. There may have been a .alt community, but not sure.

By the way…. Please stop by the Newbie forum and introduce yourself. Knowing more about your background can help us more in tailoring our answers to you. And Welcome to The Cadre!

I discovered traditional wet shaving in 2010, from a variety of websites, but all of those started 2005 or later.

Before that, I could only speculate. But I’d venture to say that the forum like options were few and the info/collective knowledge in the resurgence of traditional wet shaving was thin/scattered.

As far as the knowledge in regards to using cartridge razors?……

Well, I have to extrapolate, from my own experience (and what I’ve read from others over the years), that we learned from 3 places:

1. Hand me down knowledge from our fathers (if we were lucky).
2. Marketing and commercials, “showing” us what to do.
3. Trial and Error! My mom bought me my first razor, my dad didn’t shave, so here’s where I sit primarily.

The few internet resources that existed until the early 2000’s, were small niche communities, and I doubt many of them were dedicated to shaving. There may have been a .alt community, but not sure.
So if i wanted to google shaving tips the first quarter of 2000, i wouldnt find very specific shaving tips then like shave in the shower?

So if i wanted to google shaving tips the first quarter of 2000, i wouldnt find very specific shaving tips then like shave in the shower?
I wouldn’t think you’d have found many tips on the web at all, no. But why are you all about this whole thing leading to tips about shaving in the shower?? That’s not even a thing.

@erikag, the majority of folks on this forum have used cart razors, but found them lacking for one reason or another. So most of us have found our way to a more traditional form of wet shaving utilizing double edge safety razors and/or straight razors and those are the main focus of this forum.
Yep, I started having a lot of irritation issues using the OG, shower gel and cart method. My friend's son had a DE, and that got me interested.

Back