The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Tweeds of March

gwsmallwood

Shave Member
Come join me for The Tweeds of March. I'll be using a different Green Irish Tweed inspired soap for every shave this month. Let's celebrate the coming of spring in style! Come post all of your GIT SOTD photos here.
7f903634-3ae0-45c2-adbc-df2210ca5737.jpeg

Oh man I want the Williams challenge to be over so I can use other things. I have some CBL SIR Irish and a sample of Sir Irisch Moos aftershave to give a go.

Oh man I want the Williams challenge to be over so I can use other things. I have some CBL SIR Irish and a sample of Sir Irisch Moos aftershave to give a go.
Is the SIR Irish an Irish Moos or Green Irish Tweed homage? While both fougere scents, I didn't really find them all that similar.

Is the SIR Irish an Irish Moos or Green Irish Tweed homage? While both fougere scents, I didn't really find them all that similar.
That's a good question, I had assumed them the "same". I will have to actually compare the two, and I would say I have no real reference for a "tweed scent" then (something new to look in to).

We could ask the man himself.

@CBLindsay is SIR Irish a GIT inspiration, Irish Springs, or other?

P.S. if it's GIT, when can I buy some?
SIR Irish is actually more of a SIR Irisch Moos inspired scent, quite far from GIT. I do have access to a very good GIT clone oil but have stayed away from it because it is available from so many other places. To me, GIT is like Irish Spring on steroids...it's a LOT of scent in one place.

....Since you brought up SIR Irish. I still have plenty of my original fragrance blend on hand but I have decided to go back to the drawing board and see if I can make a better match to the original vintage scent.

SIR Irish is actually more of a SIR Irisch Moos inspired scent, quite far from GIT. I do have access to a very good GIT clone oil but have stayed away from it because it is available from so many other places. To me, GIT is like Irish Spring on steroids...it's a LOT of scent in one place.

....Since you brought up SIR Irish. I still have plenty of my original fragrance blend on hand but I have decided to go back to the drawing board and see if I can make a better match to the original vintage scent.
Thanks for the response. I wasn't a big fan of the Irisch Moos aftershave, but I do really enjoy all of the GIT scents.

I do have access to a very good GIT clone oil but have stayed away from it because it is available from so many other places.
This is making me wonder if you could take that as a base and then mix it up. like maybe add some leather and smoke/gunpowder. you could call that GIT Out West!

Come join me for The Tweeds of March. I'll be using a different Green Irish Tweed inspired soap for every shave this month. Let's celebrate the coming of spring in style! Come post all of your GIT SOTD photos here.
View attachment 48352
I'm actually limited n my Green Irish Tweed stuff...but I think I have a couple. I'll play along when I can!

I'm actually limited n my Green Irish Tweed stuff...but I think I have a couple. I'll play along when I can!
I was just thinking along the same line Don... 'how much fun I'm missing'. Never tried a GIT soap. Might have to grab one, hopefully before the end of the fun. [emoji6]

I'm really ignorant as to what GIT is, but I know being picky in scents, I might go for a brand that lighter and sweeter in scent. Any suggestions @gwsmallwood ?

I was just thinking along the same line Don... 'how much fun I'm missing'. Never tried a GIT soap. Might have to grab one, hopefully before the end of the fun. [emoji6]

I'm really ignorant as to what GIT is, but I know being picky in scents, I might go for a brand that lighter and sweeter in scent. Any suggestions @gwsmallwood ?
If you're considering one, my top list right now would be Stirling Sharp Dressed Man, WSP Gaelic Tweed, Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh, Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot, and Wickham Shamrock Tweed. Or, PAA will probably be releasing their version on Friday if my guess is correct. I haven't tried that one yet, but will be picking it up this year.

If you're considering one, my top list right now would be Stirling Sharp Dressed Man, WSP Gaelic Tweed, Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh, Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot, and Wickham Shamrock Tweed. Or, PAA will probably be releasing their version on Friday if my guess is correct. I haven't tried that one yet, but will be picking it up this year.
Wow, that's quite a list. Which are on the lighter side for scents?

Wow, that's quite a list. Which are on the lighter side for scents?
On the lighter scent strength. I might actually recommend Van Yulay Green Irish Tweed or Central Texas Soaps Irish Flats. The ones I mentioned above are all medium to strong. Van Yulay is a bit more true to the scent profile, but Irish Flats is still really nice, and I think it might edge out Van Yulay for performance.

The Tweeds of March shave 5 was not the best shave soap I've tried. Lather was airy and bubbly, no matter how much soap I tried to load. It felt like trying to shave with dish washing detergent. It was a little better when I took the brush out of the equation and hand lathered. Good thing I have about 20 other GIT soaps to choose from. This does make a great bath soap, though. Left my skin feeling nice and soft.

IMG_20210309_162403238.jpg
  1. Razorock Irish Countryside
  2. Central Texas Soaps Irish Flats
  3. Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh
  4. Van Yulay Green Irish Tweed
  5. Saint Meinrad Archabbey Irish Tweed

Back