The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Death Row Shave

Soap Thing

Shave Member
Active Duty
Hey everybody! I came up with an interesting thought experiment that you might find interesting. Imagine you were about to go to the electric chair and ride the lightning, and you could only shave one more time, what would you use? And why would you use it?

My personal setup is shown below. I picked 345 Soap Co Etched and the matching aftershave. It’s a powdery barbershop with coffee and leather notes added to it. I picked this soap because it’s got a really calming scent in my opinion, and I guarantee I’d be having a lot of emotions running through my system just straight up giving me the shakes. So something relaxing is in order. For the razor, if I’m on death row I cannot imagine I’d be allowed to have a safety razor even as a last request, so the next best thing would be my Gillette Trac II. This one has a date code of F3, 3rd quarter of 1985. And for the brush, I picked my H.L. Thater 4125/0 22mm 2 Band badger. I like the softness, the splaying properties, and ability to make a rich lather very easily. Plus the shape works great on my medium size hands.

Without a doubt this conversation is going to come off the rails with people talking about their last meal. Mine would be beer battered and fried Great Lakes whitefish, eggs Benedict with extra hollandaise sauce, a slice of blueberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream, and 2 glass bottles of Coca Cola.

5f3a52a7b3495f5f298d72f153c9b778.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Barrister & Mann, Lime Lavender & Cedarwood soap & aftershave, Sorrinteno Brushworks brush with a SHD Badger from APShave co, Heljestrand MK No. 4 with an Escher Thuringian edge, & Nivea Sensitive cooling balm.

I’ve never seen B&M Lavender Lime & Cedarwood. But I can see why you might pick that one. Sounds like it would be woody, floral & fresh all at the same time. Is there any significance to that one?

I’ve never seen B&M Lavender Lime & Cedarwood. But I can see why you might pick that one. Sounds like it would be woody, floral & fresh all at the same time. Is there any significance to that one?

It’s a very relaxing scent that is a marriage of my three favorite scents. Unfortunately it’s been discontinued for years already 😢.

umm if I am on Death Row here is my shave

1. Prime Rib rare, scalloped green onion garlic potatoes, caviar and baked Alaska for dinner

2. A hot towel barber shave. If I gonna take the deep gas nap, I certainly am not going to shave myself 🤪🤪🤪

umm if I am on Death Row here is my shave

1. Prime Rib rare, scalloped green onion garlic potatoes, caviar and baked Alaska for dinner

2. A hot towel barber shave. If I gonna take the deep gas nap, I certainly am not going to shave myself [emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957]

Hard to argue with that kinda logic. I suppose if I had that option I’d do the same. A barber straight shave is an exhilarating experience no doubt.

For hardware, I would definitely use my Waterville Cutlery straight and my TSC legacy brush. The Waterville because it reminds me of an old friend of the family who was the Chaplain at my father's Masonic Lodge. He was like another grandfather to me. Plus, it gives amazing shaves. The legacy brush because it just makes a great lather out of anything. For the software, I am not sure what I would use. Do I pick the best lather or do I do something ironic like Stirling Electric Sheep. Knowing me, I would probably go with the one last joke.

Back