The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Blackland Era

fhalden

"Like BarberDave… I make my own fun”
A fascinating episode of the Lather Talk podcast just dropped featuring the owner of Blackland. He announced a forthcoming razor, The Era Razor, which is a stainless steel DE razor made using a new steel 3D printing technology that allows them to scale up production more easily than a CNC production process. The razor will have a choice of 5 closed bar and 5 open comb base plates. Cost: $75. I recommend the episode because he really goes into detail about the new technology used to manufacture the razor.

Oh, and a titanium Vector is on the way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I just saw the announcement this morning. Looks like a cool concept.
The most intriguing thing being when it says they can do things with geometry using 3D printing that they can't with CNC. As always, looking forward to when the reviews start coming out.
At this price point, even I might be able to score one.

Listening to this right now...

Also, it is 100% made in the USA! Everything from the razor to the packaging.

I’ve always found Blackland DEs to be a little too aggressive for me. Hopefully this one is a little more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always found Blackland DEs to be a little too aggressive for me. Hopefully this one is a little more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I remember correctly, the podcast said it starts out on the lowest plate as really mild.

They just posted new pics with a really detailed description on their Instagram page.

This is certainly exciting news. Stainless steel with a choice of base plates, black coated all for $75
However, like many other things this is just the base price. There is a matching stand ($?) and of course shipping. I was reading on the 3DEO (printing manufacturers) website. they supply a lot of different industries with metal printing which is different from other companies as they also CNC machine the products. I understand the ERA razor will have a 17-4 (stainless steel) head and the handle will be 303 stainless steel. The release date is May.

Apparently Blackland are saying there's a bit less blade feel than some of their other razors, making it even more attractive to me.

I actually was up way too late, so caught some of the Facebook live. I like the way Blackland thinks, the market doesn't need another $200 razor as much as more interesting offerings in the more affordable space. The tech used to make the razor is fascinating, and so cool to see someone in the shave community actually being a leader in adopting it.

Modular systems are smart IMO, the success of Rockwell and Karve show that.

If there's anything about the design I don't personally like, it's the smooth handle with o-rings for grip. But I'm sure it works well. What I do like is the tight clamping and less blade feel.

I actually was up way too late, so caught some of the Facebook live. I like the way Blackland thinks, the market doesn't need another $200 razor as much as more interesting offerings in the more affordable space. The tech used to make the razor is fascinating, and so cool to see someone in the shave community actually being a leader in adopting it.

Modular systems are smart IMO, the success of Rockwell and Karve show that.

If there's anything about the design I don't personally like, it's the smooth handle with o-rings for grip. But I'm sure it works well. What I do like is the tight clamping and less blade feel.
I'm sure the FB Live covered pretty much the same stuff in the Podcast I listened to...and yeah...you hit on all the good points. Innovation...price point...etc. Blackland definitely has a vision for where they want their company to go. I applaud it also. They recognize that the Wet Shaving community really is a niche market. So why not make it more inclusive than trying to find the handful of shavers that want that $200+ razor that can only use that one kind of blade and is only in the type of metal that a portion of users are really excited about. Very smart all around!

As someone who really isn’t in the market for a $200+ razor, this is very exciting. The price point of most of these modern razors are what keep me primarily in the vintage space. I’ll need to find time to listen to the podcast.

I'm waiting for the $29.99CAD Vector or the $19.99CAD Injector-blade one.
Shane said in the FB Q&A there's no plans to make a Vector (or any older models) in the new process. There is a difference in the products and he is keeping them that way.

He was asked about a slant, which he isnt particularly adverse to doing but not on his radar. He also is considering a adjustable down the road. Currently the Era is the only dog in town for the new line, for the foreseeable future.

It's going to release in smaller batches for the first two months. Not because he has to, but to make sure everything is going as planned. Like a soft opening. Then around month three will be where he opens the floodgates and anyone can get one pretty much anytime. He spells out very clearly... It will be a bit frustrating but it's what is best. Do NOT go pay hundreds for one in resale. They will be available, this isn't a slow release to create a need and it will be over quick. He basically implored people to have patience, it will be a very readily available product.

He plans to have a chart up soon to better equate the different plates to what you can expect.

A fascinating episode of the Lather Talk podcast just dropped featuring the owner of Blackland. He announced a forthcoming razor, The Era Razor, which is a stainless steel DE razor made using a new steel 3D printing technology that allows them to scale up production more easily than a CNC production process. The razor will have a choice of 5 closed bar and 5 open comb base plates. Cost: $75. I recommend the episode because he really goes into detail about the new technology used to manufacture the razor.

Oh, and a titanium Vector is on the way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I listened to the podcast on Saturday and I agree that it was a good episode (probably my favorite one of theirs). It was rather technical and he spoke a lot about manufacturing processes, but have spent 30 years in that world, I found it very interesting. The new Era razor sounds like it may be right up my alley and at a little more reasonable price point - efficient but not a lot of blade feel or feedback is my preference.

Back