The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Thayers Witch Hazel

I clean/scrub my face every night with Thayers (Rose scent) on a quality cotton round.

It has greatly improved my completion.

Sometimes I use it right after a rough shave before splashing aftershave on.

So you use it as both a Toner and an Aftershave? Like that idea.

Does Thayers have a shelf life once opened?
I had a Lavender one go cloudy looking after awhile from sitting (no idea but quite awhile, like think over a year as I wasn't big on Lavender) but didn't seem to affect it's usefulness. I did get rid of it after I got tired of how it looked.

From the Thayer’s Q&A website regarding expectation.

All of our witch hazel astringents and toners, except our medicated options, DO NOT have expiration dates. Our witch hazel products are all natural and have a natural preservative (grapefruit seed extract) that does not expire.

It may not expire but after maybe a year or 2 the lavender went cloudy. It was in the old bottle shape so some time ago.

Witch hazel, if I am not mistaken, is an anti-inflammatory.

Off topic: In the summer months keep Lucky Tiger Face Tonic in the fridge and apply generously post shave. You will thank me.

Witch hazel, if I am not mistaken, is an anti-inflammatory.

Off topic: In the summer months keep Lucky Tiger Face Tonic in the fridge and apply generously post shave. You will thank me.
Dave (xenostr8shaver) was singing the praises of Lucky Tiger a while back, he never mentioned putting it in the fridge...good idea.

I believe eve you are right about witch hazel being an anti-inflammatory. Technically it is an astringent but it’s effect is anti inflammatory. Alum is also an astringent that shrinks tissue but I don’t think I’ve ever heard it described as being anti inflammatory. I often use both (I even add a pinch of alum and alcohol to my witch hazel) post shave.

Back