The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tell me how the PAA Roswell knot (Peregrino) compares to other synths

gwsmallwood

Shave Member
I'm curious if anyone has both a Roswell and one of the similarly colored knots (Shaveforge Stone Gray, APShaveCo Silk Smoke, Turn N Shave Hawk, etc.). But if you can compare the Roswell to a 24 or 26mm Cashmere or Tuxedo, that could also be helpful.

I just set a 24mm Shaveforge Stone Gray and White knot (which is actually closer to taupe or khaki in color than gray). It has a huge glue bump giving it a ton of backbone. I also picked up a 24 mm Shaveforge Black and Grey knot that feels much closer to my beloved 24mm APShave Co Tuxedo and Cashmere knots.

Anyone know if that's typical of these Gray/Tan and White synthetics and if the Roswell follows suit there? I just saw that Doug is offering just the knots, so I'm considering picking one up for my next brush, but I'll probably pass if it's going to be similar to the one from Shaveforge.

You should get some people here to discuss this in a bit. But I just wanted to chime in and say that I am interested in other's thoughts also.

I don’t own a Silk Smoke anymore but do have a Yaqi Chianti which has a knot that was identical to the Silk Smoke.

The hair used in the Peregrino and Starcraft are identical in every aspect and Zi would, therefore hazard an educated guess that they are Silk Smoke knots.

Where they differ is the shape of the knot, with the PAA brushes being more of a fan shape. This, along with a higher loft, leads them to appear larger than they actually are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got couple of the Roswell knot brushes and mainly been using the Starcraft brush. The Roswell knot has a lot of backbone, close to Tuxedo or even slightly more. It's got soft tips and splays with some resistance. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but it works well and is relatively comfortable on the face.

The Black and Grey (or timberwolf) knots are one of my favorites. Perfect balance of backbone/softness/feel. I would say try out their Duro knots if you enjoy the Black and grey. Duro feels like a medium between Black and grey and Tuxedo.

There's also the Nexus synthetic that came out. I'd think it's similar to Cashmere knots as people say it's on the floppy side with low backbone. I'd like to try one in the future.

Back