The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tallow Shaving Soaps Are Better Than Veg, Change My Mind.

Which Shaving Soap is Better?

• Tallow Based

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Vegetable Based

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Tallow and Vegetable are Equal

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I prefer oil shave oil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
View attachment 69429

THOUGHTS???

Personally I'm in the tallow club, because of the beautifully thick, slick, and protective lather it produces. Now, not all tallow soaps are the same, but I postulate that an average Tallow shaving soap is better than the average veg based shaving soap. Granted there are some outliers(Such as MDC), but in general this is my personal feeling(YMMV).

Tell me why you believe Veg based soaps are better/superior to tallow soaps or if you agree with my view.

Come at me, change my mind!
I agree that tallow soaps in general are better than veg soaps. As you said there are outliers. IMO Saponificio Varesino soaps will go toe-to-toe with the best tallow soaps. I'd also echo what @Spider said about Southern Witchcrafts.

i would have to say i personally prefer tallow based soaps, with the execption of SV and southern witchcrafts. those two vegans soaps perform really well. i have used PAA ck-6 and its ok, but i prefer tallows to vegans in most cases.

I like most soaps. You really have to stink to be on my soap hate list. There are only a tiny handful that make it there, and they’re all veggie. However, when I look at the tippy top of my list, MOST are veggie (and French). PdP, Provence Sante, Institut Karite and MdC all top the list. My very best is also veggie, the humble La Toja shave stick. They all just perform better in my hands and the postshave feel is second to none (well, MdC is a little drying).

Back