The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tallow based Bath Soap

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I recently purchased a bar of the Hot Apple Cider bath soap from Stirling Soap Co. @Joe Hackett and realized upon purchased that Rod uses tallow in his bath soaps. In the past I have used some old shave soaps that were not to my liking for shaving but make a great bath soap. I always wondered why there were not a large variety of bath soaps that used tallow. I am certain it is more expensive than the other plant based fats that companies use. But I really enjoyed using the shave soap for my showers. Fast forward to my Stirling purchase...man does that tallow based bath soap really do my skin some good! I mean it cleans and rinses better than most soaps and just gives that skin a nice moisturizing feel! I might not be going back to regular old soaps. Stirling has me won over on their soaps!

iyvaY5probRrawJ2IWETn_85F0lA3nxO_0171MOYmujtJUrGPLbr1F29LouxOUeGHtGHQzHzayznVsBs4dl9cOQrU3RjvI1wlOs-erOFJYD0SDKVqIWTOreb1cieKf6DTMDzNdm9kXPWLA0w6cC3-RnXjKXR1iOI9o_8o-oNTrTFHKhfWfcsJuHNO71zKFGf683fQjzAM8l5ADwJQRXs5LaqBVjB-qBJvybS2TCkCYNUrZJVTSvMEQ2rlDOp4iwvZQiaJxCSuWQCuZCAXs7OliVRHZpQsHM5rF04TbCX3TQzOyr0wnwJbVDnZX1dmjUZD3BHkEqhNL7Hk1OiEqfpgUbzBRY1zHVoF2fJJPf2i1sE3b1bIFWI1jl88aoLKUCAHKYxncN71JAOnCmn4JQxv4UIHZWD2OIRQoe1mYVrmKAzqb9Dbrq7cq_jo-t4jMg2Rho4ST1f9_0QxsJ-HCk7BEl2wZC8yG3_-UxkrqgGoJrmDV8RJoeK9X9jaFRouzLl8py1AZVMc03Uu-uj5Bb5yQJYvs71MJ8Gz7xtXkPmhvxj82gGnigYsf03wNo-9SJhCIgiUi8IAq_5SIAkXmRTOjLuzt0tjsyZpZnyrZh-HI4FFTb8e2dtB57V8y8lPoIxkJgHZuZHhFwxcFl-h-Kj9K4paf_7DC_8msqxRW8SqDY6ASAivvCIYBqPpgTdetQbo6J7CA4mEFv-o433yvwNOndwfQ=w1052-h789-no

I agree, the tallow based bath soaps are quite nice. My favorite in fact. I think one factor that keeps more tallow soaps from being made is that a lot (maybe all) of the better non-tallow soaps are made via "cold process" and tallow doesn't translate as well to cold process. I think most tallow soaps are cooked well to help drive off any offensive smells. I don't know if tallow soaps are necessarily more expensive to make, I suspect the costs are fairly similar if the raw materials are bought in reasonable bulk amounts. I wouldn't be surprised if a big reason many artisans (and commercial producers) avoid tallow is how it perceived by consumers. Seeing a "tallow" or "lard" on a label probably puts off a lot of people these days because we have become used to having today's "soap" be far removed from the rustic origins.

Side note: Johnson & Johnson baby bar soap is made with tallow.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big reason many artisans (and commercial producers) avoid tallow is how it perceived by consumers. Seeing a "tallow" or "lard" on a label probably puts off a lot of people these days because we have become used to having today's "soap" be far removed from the rustic origins.
Chris has a Ph. D. in "Non-Offensive Verbal Communications." 🤪

I would agree with you though. But seriously...I am a big fan of Tallow Based soaps right now for the body. My skin (and hair if I want to be gross) agree with level of free rinse and moisturizing that tallow based soaps give me!

Thanks Chris, it's really nice to hear from someone that actually makes soaps!

I wholeheartedly agree with both you that tallow based soaps are wonderful for the skin. During the winter season every year there comes a time where my skin becomes so dry and cracked it hurts. Now that we are in these times where we are constantly washing our hands - the issue would have become an all year round problem for me. At the beginning- when the grocery stores were all sold out of stock - I started buying from our shave artisans. Now that I realize how fantastic they are - I’m not ever going back to the liquid antibacterial hand soap or Dial, Ivory, Irish Spring, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree with both you that tallow based soaps are wonderful for the skin. During the winter season every year there comes a time where my skin becomes so dry and cracked it hurts. Now that we are in these times where we are constantly washing our hands - the issue would have become an all year round problem for me. At the beginning- when the grocery stores were all sold out of stock - I started buying from our shave artisans. Now that I realize how fantastic they are - I’m not ever going back to the liquid antibacterial hand soap or Dial, Ivory, Irish Spring, etc.
Love it!

CBL bar soaps made with tallow ROCK! I know they are not made for it, but I use them as shampoo bars too. No more dandruff in the winter months.

Back