The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Synthetics do lather differently and better

I agree on the challenge of getting the loft right. I have a Kent Infinity Silvertex and it's a really good brush, but the loft is a touch too low, so you get that problem with springiness. The L'Occitane Synth by Plisson is the opposite, with a loft that's too much and it flops like crazy, but man, that brush can lather. I happily overlook the flop there. I've been using Harris Arlington since the beginning of the year, and it's proven to be an average soap. In fact, it stinks with boar, is middle of the road with badger and lathers like a champ with the synthetics. Don't ask me why. I happily used the L'Occitane for a few weeks with it, and moved on to the Mühle-knotted Rudy Vey custom this week....simply excellent lathers.

Yes, I agree. This is what is keeping me from absolutely loving my first couple of Sorrentinos, and a few of my Oz synthetics. They are just set too low and too springy. I've noticed a few synthetics too that have a huge glue bump in the middle (not sure what it's called), that is also keeping the fibers more rigid and affecting the splay. I like my synthetics to be fairly floppy, ideally being as floppy as a badger.

I don't know if I could ever decide between synthetics and badgers. When I'm using a synthetic I think they are the bees knees and will use them for a week or two straight, thinking that they are the best brush option. Then I'll switch to badger and think the exact same thing about them. Really I love them both.
Very Well Said and perfect, so we just get both, LOL

Back