The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Synthetic progression with JNAT signature

ibrahim makkouk

Shave Newbie
Hello Honing gurus,

How do you feel about a full synth progression 5k, 8K, 12K followed by a JNAT with Tomo Nagura slury? The razor in question would be a Filarmonica 14 JMP. Yay or Nay?

Yay! I often set the bevel and finish up to 8k before I move on to my Ozuko and my nagura. It shortens the progression time and the edge is a jnat edge.

Yay! I often set the bevel and finish up to 8k before I move on to my Ozuko and my nagura. It shortens the progression time and the edge is a jnat edge.
Thanks @Luecke3262 🙏 I usually go Shapton 5k, Shapton Glass 8k, then JNAT or Pierre De La Lune with Botan, Tenjiu, Mejiru, Koma and Tomo. Difference is I am thinking of omitting the B, T, M, K and have the 12K shapton instead and sign-off with JNAT with Tomo slury only 😊

Thanks @Luecke3262 🙏 I usually go Shapton 5k, Shapton Glass 8k, then JNAT or Pierre De La Lune with Botan, Tenjiu, Mejiru, Koma and Tomo. Difference is I am thinking of omitting the B, T, M, K and have the 12K shapton instead and sign-off with JNAT with Tomo slury only 😊
I don’t see a problem with it if you like the edges you’re getting. I personally still use T, M, K and TN to finish after 8k, but I could see you only going K - TN or just TN at 12k and I’m sure it would work out just fine. Let me know how you like it compared to a 💯 J-Nat finish. I’ll do the same.

I normally go 2k, 5k, 8k shapton ceramic and finish with the boulder and tomo slurry to clear water. The boulder is on the left. Very dense (think black ark dense) Asagi from the Narutaki mine. A little over an inch thick.2476.jpg

I don’t see a problem with it if you like the edges you’re getting. I personally still use T, M, K and TN to finish after 8k, but I could see you only going K - TN or just TN at 12k and I’m sure it would work out just fine. Let me know how you like it compared to a 💯 J-Nat finish. I’ll do the same.
Thing is I invested a bit on this Filarmonica, haven't received it yet, and last thing I want is to destroy it 🙈

Thing is I invested a bit on this Filarmonica, haven't received it yet, and last thing I want is to destroy it 🙈
I can't see you destroying it while finishing on a JNAT. You can definitely destroy it on a 1K or by dropping it(I've done this 😭). Use a little tape, make sure to change it between progressions and you'll be just fine!

How long have you been honing?

I can't see you destroying it while finishing on a JNAT. You can definitely destroy it on a 1K or by dropping it(I've done this 😭). Use a little tape, make sure to change it between progressions and you'll be just fine!

How long have you been honing?
I would say about 6-7 months. Haven't had dramas yet TBH. I sometimes rehone razors while they are still shaving fine just to get the experience or try different progression. I have honed a Friodur, W&B Elite, Dovo Bismark and a bunch of GD's. I started using synth. Solely 1K,5K,8K and 12K then extended to JNATs but always setting bevel on 5K followed by 8K then JNAT progression. I use tape. Haven't gone back down to 1K for a while. I am hoping that the condition of the Fili will not require setting a bevel down to a 1K (i do not have a middle ground 2 or 3K unfortunately). We will see, ai guess trial and error 😊. I will keep watching your vids. For inspiration 😉

I would say about 6-7 months. Haven't had dramas yet TBH. I sometimes rehone razors while they are still shaving fine just to get the experience or try different progression. I have honed a Friodur, W&B Elite, Dovo Bismark and a bunch of GD's. I started using synth. Solely 1K,5K,8K and 12K then extended to JNATs but always setting bevel on 5K followed by 8K then JNAT progression. I use tape. Haven't gone back down to 1K for a while. I am hoping that the condition of the Fili will not require setting a bevel down to a 1K (i do not have a middle ground 2 or 3K unfortunately). We will see, ai guess trial and error 😊. I will keep watching your vids. For inspiration 😉
There are much better honing videos to watch than mine! LOL

I started to do a bunch and then realized that there is and can be a BUNCH of hate out there revolving around honing style and even perceived skill. I hone for myself and my friends, not for anyone else.

Keith V. Johnson is the standard by which I hone, but some folks don't like his vids.

There are much better honing videos to watch than mine! LOL

I started to do a bunch and then realized that there is and can be a BUNCH of hate out there revolving around honing style and even perceived skill. I hone for myself and my friends, not for anyone else.

Keith V. Johnson is the standard by which I hone, but some folks don't like his vids.
🤣🤣 don't sell yourself short man... your vids are great. I follow Keith as well and actually got my first JNAT from him. Some folls honestly over complicate it and makes you feel clueless, when they start talking about "let the stone talk to you" and "feel the edge", I mean how am I supposed to visualize these things 🤣

Some folls honestly over complicate it and makes you feel clueless, when they start talking about "let the stone talk to you" and "feel the edge", I mean how am I supposed to visualize these things 🤣
THIS, I mean you can feel when the slurry starts to break down and it becomes smooth as silk. Otherwise, a bunch of it seems to be superstitious silly stuff. You're rubbing a piece of steel on a rock, not connecting to your ancestors through a rock rubbing ceremony.

THIS, I mean you can feel when the slurry starts to break down and it becomes smooth as silk. Otherwise, a bunch of it seems to be superstitious silly stuff. You're rubbing a piece of steel on a rock, not connecting to your ancestors through a rock rubbing ceremony.
🤣🤣🤣

Hey @lueke3262, I honed one of my gold dollar with a synthetic progression with Shaptons 1K ceramic, 5K ceramic, 8K glass, 12K ceramic and finished on a Shonoyama with Koma then Tomo Nagura. The shave was very good, razor quite smooth at all angles, but I think it wasn't perfect as I had some feedback from the alum (which TBH I rarely don't). But I think the JNAT maybe rounded off the edge and made it smoother although I could barely get any slury from the Tomo 🤣. Thanks for the tips, the reall test will be on the Fili 😉

Hey @lueke3262, I honed one of my gold dollar with a synthetic progression with Shaptons 1K ceramic, 5K ceramic, 8K glass, 12K ceramic and finished on a Shonoyama with Koma then Tomo Nagura. The shave was very good, razor quite smooth at all angles, but I think it wasn't perfect as I had some feedback from the alum (which TBH I rarely don't). But I think the JNAT maybe rounded off the edge and made it smoother although I could barely get any slury from the Tomo 🤣. Thanks for the tips, the reall test will be on the Fili 😉

Back