The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Swedish Razors

jgreenepa

TSC's "Velveteen Shaver"
The only decent part of Wednesday’s hurricane backwash here in Pa. was the arrival of this sweet little Klas Tornblom 4/8 straight razor. It was pretty dirty when it arrived, but cleaned up nicely. I’d been hearing about these little razors for a while. Everyone kept repeating about the hardness of the steel and honing difficulties. A Swedish friend on another forum told me that Klas Tornblom blades were made from Swedish Sandvik steel (Rockwell 70), so they weren’t kidding! After about 45 minutes on my Chosera 1k with little progress, impatient me decided to pull out the big guns. I own a very aggressive artificial waterstone set (1k, 6k, 10k) made by Pride Abrasives based in Wisconsin, USA that I use for my W2 and Cru Forge V steel knives.

Given what I’d heard and that I only paid $15 for the razor, I decided to give the Pride set a shot. The 1k stone set the bevel with ease and after taking it through the 6k and 10k, I was very happy with the results. A 3000k slurry on my jasper stone really burnished the bevel beautifully leading to a finish in water until I had good stiction. You can see the shiny bevel in the photo. The mug shave was amazing. This little razor obliterated my facial stubble in two passes. There was really nothing left to shave after that second pass. All I can say is wow! Klas Tornblom built one heck of a nimble, highly maneuverable little shaver! I'm a believer! In fact, I‘m now on the hunt for a good CVH Mk30 or a nice little Niestrom. Swedish razors may have narrower blades, but this one really did the job. The irony is that current trends are towards meat cleaver-like shave hatchets, that have no appeal for me.. That’s fine! Nobody’s interested in these sweet little Swedish 4/8 razors! They go for a song!

What’s your experience been with Swedish razors?

49657AA8-E76B-4FDE-8EA9-FC572237991D.jpeg

I’ll give my gold seal of approval on 95% of the sharp things made in the land of the Vikings! I mean what’s not to like! The style, the clean lines, the IKEA like standardization of Eskilstuna! I’ve owned Dhalgren, E.A. Berg, Klas Tornblom, SSA, C.V. Heljestrand, Söderén, and many unmarked, made in Sweden razors and everyone of them has been a very nice razor. My Swedish connection hooked me into the Heljestrand MK31’s and Klas Tornblom shoulderless razors, then the MK32’s and it’s been hard to turn back! The only Swedish razors that I’m not super into are the tiny little frame back razors with the super skinny tangs, it’s not if ,but when it will slice your cheek open…
I’ve experienced the hard to set bevels on a few of these razor too, but once that bevel is set well, you’ll likely never have to reset it again! I’m with you on the smaller razors too. I’ve had some of my best shaved with an MK31 and 4/8 Tornblom’s. The hefty blades are fun, but nowhere near as nimble as a smaller blade!

Cheers and enjoy tossing a wad of cash down this rabbit hole! Unfortunately the Swedish razors can get a bit pricy! Thankfully there is SSA AND Tornblom, they are on the cheaper side, but no less excellent!
Matt

My very first straight was a sight unseen from WhippedDog. The razor is marked Three Ranners and I still own it. It’s a great shave and can be honed very sharp. I need to touch it up and get it back into rotation.

Well guys, I’ve got the Swedish Razor bug bad! Just received three new Swedish razors. Got great pricing on all three, but one’s a fixer upper!

Neistrom Model #52 4/8. Fixer upper. Chip near the toe, and the patina on the blade needs some love! From Poland.
46F3C01D-FD6F-468C-AB71-4E15C856EA1B.jpeg
CV Heljestrand Mk29. 4/8. Beautiful condition, From Texas
23A900DA-1974-4AAC-AD7F-9D2751D9C662.jpeg
JA Hellberg. Faux Spine 5/8. From Florida

563C4F10-A157-41A2-AA2D-95F8625D2AEA.jpeg

You’ve been bitten! Now you gotta try out a Heljestrand MK31 and Mk32, they are wonderful razors! Keep us in the loop!

Matt

Go get ya some!
Right?! More like get me some more! First shot with Swedish steel produced a very sharp and smooth shaver. I get the appeal.

Johan Engström, Sweden

20211105_053428-jpg.66058

Back