The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sushi time!

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
My kids love sushi. They’ve been eating it since they were little. We splurge every now and then and go out to a restaurant, but 5 people eating sushi is not cheap. I learned very early on how easy it is to make sushi. It’s so much cheaper to make it yourself. And it’s pretty easy and fun to make.

The hardest part is getting the rice to come out, but if you use a rice cooker it’s pretty easy. I’ve perfected my rice in the instant pot.

Supplies ready....

We primarily make California rolls. Easy and cheap, and I don’t have a local source for sushi grade fish.

Being on a keto diet, I don’t eat rice or imitation crab, so I use shrimp, cream cheese, avocado, and cucumber in my rolls (a variation on a Boston Roll).

All rolls done, my kids have got pretty good at making the rolls themselves. Everything is chilling in the fridge now. Will post pics when I cut them up this evening.

Nice!

The kids love Cali rolls an the missus loves a variety of rolls. I’m not much of a fan. I did enjoy Cali rolls for a while, but unfortunately the last time I got uber sick, I had just eaten one that night...so yea. I’m sure I’ll come back around.

I love the idea of homemade sushi. Even here, or where Chris lives, one needs to take out a third mortgage to make it happen at one of the precious sushi restaurants. We’ve got one two blocks away, but have done well to avoid it for some time...

Dinner Time!

My daighter’s sushi:

My keto sushi, with coconut aminos instead of soy sauce:

Well over sushi too, haven't tried our hand at making yet. We don't eat it that often because of the rice. I wonder if Cauliflower rice would work? KJ have you tried it?

I wonder if Cauliflower rice would work? KJ have you tried it?
I have. For sushi, it’s best to mix your cauliflower with cream cheese to get it to stick, but I didn’t care for the taste of it overall. I opted to skip the cauliflower and just put the cream cheese in my roll for some added fats.

My keto sushi, with coconut aminos instead of soy sauce:

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What are these coconut aminos you speak of? I know soy sauce isn't really something I should be eating...but since it is fermented I do use it from time to time....but tell me about these coconut aminos.

Also...I had a sushi roll the other day that was Ahi, avocado, cucumber, and snow crab...wrapped in a thing cucumber wrap. It was pretty darn good. Though I know the snow crab likely has stuff in it that I shouldn't have. But your rolls are very inspiring!

It’s a soy sauce alternative. Made from coconut flower nectar and sea salt. It’s sweeter than soy, and not as salty. It was good though. I think I might add some salt to it next time.

It’s a soy sauce alternative. Made from coconut flower nectar and sea salt. It’s sweeter than soy, and not as salty. It was good though. I think I might add some salt to it next time.

So you make it yourself? I am definitely looking into this!

No, I was just saying I would add salt to it to make it more savory.

My label bel actually says it’s made from tree sap, which is different from what I saw online.

If you search Keto soy sauce alternatives, Thomas Delauer talks about it, and has a homemade sauce that starts with bone broth, I believe.

Back