The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

straight razors, water, and rust

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
i have been tryin to do at least a one shave pass lately with my straight razor. when i rinse the blade after a pass sometimes a few beads of water will make towards the pin area. After im done with the razor i will it down with with a towel to ensure at least the blade is as dry is it can be, is there anything i can do for the pin area if water gets in there?, i let the straight air dry as i continue my shave then put it away when after my shave is done. do i need to be on the lookout for any sort of rusting in the pin area or is air drying fine. thanks again.

Personally, I'm very careful with water and if any get on the tang or hinge pin area, I stop and dry it the best I can with toilet paper. After the shave, I always place the razor on top of my dresser(open) so it can fully dry. I've never had a rust issue as long as it is left in my bedroom outside of the bathroom/moist area to dry. You can wipe a little oil in the hinge with a small paint brush if you want, but its not necessary at all. Some folks wipe their razors down with a cloth with oil, personally I've never done this, but it can't hurt.

I definitely wouldn't be putting it away in its box for at least a few hours, until all moisture is evaporated.

It really un-nerves me to watch or hear shavers rinse their straight razors under the faucet in running water. You’re begging for two problems. First, chipping the blade from accidental contact with the faucet. Second, rust development from errant water getting into places it shouldn’t. The best way to avoid a problem is not to be there. So, let’s “nip it in the bud.” Enjoy..

Also posted in my media page.

It really un-nerves me to watch or hear shavers rinse their straight razors under the faucet in running water. You’re begging for two problems. First, chipping the blade from accidental contact with the faucet. Second, rust development from errant water getting into places it shouldn’t. The best way to avoid a problem is not to be there. So, let’s “nip it in the bud.” Enjoy..

Also posted in my media page.
Well, you’re not wrong for sure. If you keep it away from the faucet, your edge cannot come in contact with it. I usually use a razor wiper, but out of habit end up using a little water to rinse the blade after each pass. Why, I don’t know maybe it’s a sanitary tick in my brain! I think a lot of what you said is great advice! Also, in your particular situation, oiling the blades is highly advisable. I guess I’ve always had the luxury of having a dry place to allow mine to air dry. I do like the idea of just using a damp rag(easily washable), I either used the razor wiper or a sponge before and the latter always got thrown away by the wife(she thought it was yucky).

I guess it’s all about personal preference and situations in the end. Your Milage May Vary as with all things.

Great video idea Leon!

I think that rust on the gold dollar was caused by a truck Grimlin…

Last edited:
Aunt Bea is coming after me for sure.
☹️
And…..Barney Fife too.
😧

Currently, I carefully dry with a facial tissue, open air dry overnight and store in some silicone impregnated cotton sleeves. I get them at Superior Shave.

I’ve read where people store razors with silica desiccant packs.

Moisture is the enemy for sure. Like where people take hot steam showers, uh oh.

I might get me some of that baby oil next time at Walmart.

i feel like tsc's rookie of the month rofl
No need to see it as anything but a learning moment. None of us knows what we don’t know till we learn it. Sometime education can be costly, like rust on a $500.00+ razor. I learned this from some post on some forum and it made immediate sense and stuck with me. Tell me what you’ve learned after seven years, or better, what you’ve forgotten.

I don’t stress it much. I used to rinse with 90% isopropyl then wipe with toilet paper (because it is absorbent)strop on cloth then leave out to air dry. Now I am not so particular, I just wipe dry strop and let air dry.
I keep a mason jar filled with a mixture of barbicide and 90% isopropyl in my cabinet that I use in a pinch to rinse the pin area or store a razor in until I can give it the attention it needs. Barbicide has an anti-rust agent so I figure it is kind of like rinsing with WD40. I’ve left razors in it for weeks with no rust BUT it will stain light colored or bone scales.

I don’t stress it much. I used to rinse with 90% isopropyl then wipe with toilet paper (because it is absorbent)strop on cloth then leave out to air dry. Now I am not so particular, I just wipe dry strop and let air dry.
I keep a mason jar filled with a mixture of barbicide and 90% isopropyl in my cabinet that I use in a pinch to rinse the pin area or store a razor in until I can give it the attention it needs. Barbicide has an anti-rust agent so I figure it is kind of like rinsing with WD40. I’ve left razors in it for weeks with no rust BUT it will stain light colored or bone scales.
Yes, Barbicide will stain. From experience.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal.
I have rinsed in water for more than 10 years. I'm not about to figure out when I started with a straight but it's been a while. I will rinse, Soak, and Submerge my razor in water. When I'm done with my shave it gets drowned in water one more time. Then dried with a towel. Then dried with toilet tissue. I take it to my man cave in the open position and set it up to dry open standing up for a day or two.

I've not had any rust issues. I don't use oils or waxes. I don't coat my razors in anything besides soap and water. If I was to have an issue I would unpin, clean and repin. But I've never had an issue yet.
I don't think men in the 1700s or 1800s or early 1900s did so much to try to keep their razors dry so I don't either and with over 300 razors now, I still don't.
If you're clumsy enough to ding your razor on a sink or faucet then you shouldn't be using a straight!
JMO.

Gents, let’s remember that each person has his own pre -routine, post shave routine, razor care, and maintenance because it’s their Shave. Please be careful when commenting on someone else’s routine. We are all here to give advice and let the person decide If that method is valued to him.

What we will not do is criticize someone else’s methods so be very measured in your comments. Comments such as if you ding your razor or mess it up you should not be shaving with a straight will not be tolerated

We are all here to have fun, and as we’ve seen on other forums , straight razor discussions can devolve into the wild wild West. Rest assured that will not happen here. Final warning

Back