The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stirling Bonaparte Thoughts (Citrus, herbs, floral)

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
I used Bonaparte Soap and Aftershave this morning and documented with my VLOG, but for once I don’t think my VLOG told the whole story. Thought about doing this as a Journal entry, but I think it’s best as a stand alone thread.

I had had never heard of Bonaparte until Rod made an announcement on Stirling’s Facebook page. Here is what he said:

Against my better judgement, I agreed to do Bonaparte for the first time in over three years for Black Friday this year. I had my first shave with it today. I love it. It's always been one of my favorite scents.

That said, you will likely hate it. Don't buy it. Seriously, unless you've tried it before and know you love it, steer clear. The reason we stopped making it was the emails and requests for refunds we got over the scent. Don't buy it. Just don't.

That said, if you were one of those who asked us to bring it back, thanks and I hope you still enjoy it. I'm glad to finally be able to replace my soap and aftershave in the scent. If you haven't tried it before and you do end up buying it, you forfeit all rights to email me to angrily tell me that it smells like your grandmother's farts or like fruity toejam. It's your fault for buying it.

Do not buy it.

Wow! That is some serious hype, right? Now, I like things that a lot of folks don’t, and I’m keen on the unusual, so I was interested. Then Rod posted the scent notes. Here is what is in it:

A blend of Ylang Ylang, Petitgrain, lavender, bergamot, Rosemary, thyme orange, lime, lemon, tangerine, and grapefruit.

Ooookaaaaayyy..... so what is so bad about that? There’s nothing weird or unusual in there. What gives??

So I decided to try it. The Black Friday special scents were small 3oz soaps And 2oz aftershaves, so the gamble was quite small.

I like it, a lot. Honestly, I’m baffled at Rod’s initial statement, because it’s really good. Now I can understand someone not liking it. But I don’t understand anyone smelling it, and being so offended or nasally assaulted that they demand a refund.

To me, the soap and the aftershave are somewhat different.

The soap is dominated by citrus. As you can see, there are 6 different citrus fruits in the mix, so that’s no surprising. The floral and herby notes are there, just in the background. This is about as bright and citrusy as you can get, without being offensive. It is strong, but I don’t find it overpowering. If you love citrus, and don’t mind a little bit of floral notes, this is for you! I will say, it’s not a sweet citrus, but more of a strong citrus peel scent.

The aftershave is a very different animal. Out of the bottle, the herby notes are more noticeable. Then you get the citrus notes, and finally the floral tones. When you apply the aftershave, the floral notes seem to come out first, followed almost immediately by the citrus notes. In a short period of time it dries down and all you are left with is the herbs. It’s not as bad as it sounds and it is quite enjoyable. Much more than I expected. Think, Myrsol Agua Balsalmica. The dry down is similar. Longevity was a few hours, I believe.

So, all in all, I really enjoyed both. I wish I’d purchased another set. If you love citrus, the soap is a must have in my opinion. I believe it is still available, so go check it out!

If you've used it, what are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with my thoughts?

I already had my shave for today picked but somehow got a Sunday delivery of the Bonaparte Soap/AS Set. I love the scents from taking a sniff from tub and bottle and had others here agree it's nice. I like you can't see people having a strong problem even if they didn't like it. Also I was glad I bought the set. Can't wait to use but want to know how I'll get along with a couple other soaps that came in so will be a few days before I use. I'll post thoughts here when used.

I think it is because there are a few notes that some people can find really offensive. such as ylang ylang, petitgrain, rosemary, and even for some lavender. There are just a lot of extreme notes in that mix, the gamble was too high for me to try, and petitgrain is usually a no go for me. I remember when it came out a few years ago and all the uproar. I seem to recall people complaining about just wanting "simple" scents and people thought it would be a citrus only scent and obviously that was not the case. I also think that the market has changed a bit and people are looking for complex scents. Perhaps this soap would do better now in today's market.

I think it is because there are a few notes that some people can find really offensive.

Yeah, but even still..... if you don't like a soap scent, is that the soap maker's fault? That's the part I don't understand. I buy things that I end up not liking all the time. I either re-sell it or PIF it. No biggie.

Yeah, but even still..... if you don't like a soap scent, is that the soap maker's fault? That's the part I don't understand. I buy things that I end up not liking all the time. I either re-sell it or PIF it. No biggie.

I 100% agree. I do the same and think others should as well. The secondary market makes it pretty easy to move products.

Great review! I saw the post and it was quite entertaining from Rod. Glad you enjoy it man!

Back