The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stirling Body Butter and Heel/Palm Balm

CVargo

“Ya… Chris, Dave, It really is my fault"
Owner
Legacy
Okay so not your typical review, but I have been using these two products for about a week now straight twice daily. And wasn't sure where to place this review. Yes even on a site I operate. So figured here for now since body lotions aren't usually a topic of discussion I would put it here.

First a little background, I suffer from Eczema pretty badly. With flare-ups primarily happening during the season changes. Unlike most people mine doesn't centralize around my hands. My most common flare-up spots are scalp, elbows, knees, and feet. Sometimes it leads to sores primarily on my scalp. Anyways my elbows and knees are ALWAYS dry, and have that ashy look, and can lead to cracking and bleeding. My feet get calloused really easily especially on the heel, and ball of my foot, sometimes even around the toes. I typically just use a Dove lotion and it seems to do a pretty decent job, but I always wanted something better.

Anyways with the drastic weather changes we are getting as we transition to fall and soon winter I have been having extreme flare-ups, and the calluses were so bad on my feet that it was getting hard to run during my officiating of football. So when I placed my order for Stirling I purchased two products:

First the Barbershop Body Butter:

It is scented very nicely, but still light enough that it does not clash with my cologne. It comes in the typical soap tubs that they use, with what seems like way more than 6oz but that is what he says. It is creamy and a tad thicker than a lotion that comes in a pump bottle.

Here are the ingredients: "Distilled Water, Almond Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Stearic Acid, Babassu Oil, Emulsifying Wax, Caprylic Capric Triglycerides, Glycerin, Myristyl Myristate, Coconut Oil, Fragrance Oil, Mango Butter, Jojoba Oil, Optiphen Plus, Vitamin E"

It states that it is Non-Greasy and I would agree with that. I am using this on my, elbows and knees after my shower in the morning and right before I go to bed. After one week of use the ashyness is gone on my elbows and knees. It soaks into the skin very easily and provides moisturizing for the whole day. There are plenty of other scents that can be found here https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/body-butter And at $12.95 for a tub that I suspect will last quite awhile I would say this is a steal. And in typical Stirling fashion he could charge significantly more for this and it would still be worth it. I highly recommend this if you suffer from overly dry skin areas.

Second the Heel and Palm Balm:

For this I chose the Lemongrass scent and it is a very nice scent, you can detect the camphor and eucalyptus but it is not overpowering. This is a very hard consistency, the way I apply it is rubbing my fingers over the hard puck basically warming it up, then rubbing it in between my hands and applying to both feet liberally! It comes in a smaller container and claims to have 4 oz, I suspect there is more! I do this twice each day, once in the morning before putting on my socks, and second right before bed when I sleep barefoot. In just the weeks time, I will say the callouses are ALMOST completely gone, and they are NOT cracking like they would before which was leading to pain while running. I am no longer getting this pain. I almost wonder if I was compensating for the pain caused by the callouses and that is what led to my plantar fasciitis. But since tackling the callouses head on, and using the exercises, and brace given by the physical therapist my feet are doing much better. And that is just after one week! If I do experience cracking on the hands or calluses I think this product would work great here also!

Here are the ingredients: "With a mixture of lanolin, unrefined shea butter, beeswax, and a blend of essential oils, this balm locks in moisture and helps repair cracked, calloused skin and prevent it from coming back." There are few different scents and only costing $6.50 this is also a steal! They can be found here https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/dry-cracked-skin

In conclusion something that the predominant audience of this site doesn't normally consider. Being as most of us are males. However if you suffer from overly dry skin etc these are two products which for a VERY good entry level price could really benefit you. Both products are a good buy and I would recommend them both.

The ingredient list for the body butter includes just about every high end oil commonly considered "good for the skin". You aren't kidding when you say the price is great, buy a container of any one of those oils and you will pay dearly for it. I too suffer from the eczema on the scalp (and around my face and neck) that can quickly get out of hand. Good to know it is working for you. I still object to the use of the word "Body-Butter", does not conjure pleasing images in my mind.

The ingredient list for the body butter includes just about every high end oil commonly considered "good for the skin". You aren't kidding when you say the price is great, buy a container of any one of those oils and you will pay dearly for it. I too suffer from the eczema on the scalp (and around my face and neck) that can quickly get out of hand. Good to know it is working for you. I still object to the use of the word "Body-Butter", does not conjure pleasing images in my mind.

Well order some, cross out body butter and write lotion.

Sounds like you are soft and supple and all ready to be taken out somewhere nice!

Actually, might be something I can add to justify getting that cheapo brush I want from them.

Excellent review, Chad. I’ve had issues with dry skin, especially during the colder months, and will be picking some up. That ingredient list is fantastic, and there are tons of products that have much less in the way of skin loving goodies that are priced higher.

Sounds like you are soft and supple and all ready to be taken out somewhere nice!

Actually, might be something I can add to justify getting that cheapo brush I want from them.

What brush do you want? I have a spare Boar knot one.

Back