The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Station 19

mreeveshp

Shave Newbie
First Responder
You don't see much wet shaving especially with a DE in popular culture but on last night's episode of station 19 one of the fire fighters was using a DE to shave, to my new eyes his technique looked off and I'm sure it was just acting but still seeing someone use a DE was a nice touch. I know the first DE I saw was at my department.

Don't get me wrong I love these shows but the call types and volume are ridiculous. To me the most realistic firefighter show is tacoma FD it was written by an FDNY member and it mainly shows the funny things that go on in a firehouse

Like war: Huge amounts of boredom and bull%#&$ interrupted by moments of sheer confusion.
The more interesting stuff that people want to hear is when I joined TEMS as a swat medic but most of even that was very boring stuff. To me the wicker store in my town that caught fire was more interesting all that wicker plus chemicals made for a big fire, we have had other big ones but I was still very new when the wicker store burned so it kind of stuck with me as the first big one

The more interesting stuff that people want to hear is when I joined TEMS as a swat medic but most of even that was very boring stuff. To me the wicker store in my town that caught fire was more interesting all that wicker plus chemicals made for a big fire, we have had other big ones but I was still very new when the wicker store burned so it kind of stuck with me as the first big one
Yessir...

I think the training and commitment makes a person somewhat immune to the danger, so those on the outside looking in don’t share that kind of “emotional wall” and tend to romanticize. But we can’t kid ourselves nor should we obsess, that next patrol or call could be our last.

I think the training and commitment makes a person somewhat immune to the danger, so those on the outside looking in don’t share that kind of “emotional wall” and tend to romanticize. But we can’t kid ourselves. The next patrol or call could be your last.
That is very true, I had the opportunity to let friends go through the burn house, they didn't turn all the fire valves on just enough for them to be blind crawling feeling the wall until they got to the victim and got them out and they realized nothing is as easy as on tv from cutting cars to handling the hose to actually going in and feeling the heat.

The day you aren't just a little nervous for lack of a better word is the day you should quit.

That is very true, I had the opportunity to let friends go through the burn house, they didn't turn all the fire valves on just enough for them to be blind crawling feeling the wall until they got to the victim and got them out and they realized nothing is as easy as on tv from cutting cars to handling the hose to actually going in and feeling the heat.

The day you aren't just a little nervous for lack of a better word is the day you should quit.
Quite a few of my best platoon mates became firefighters. It seemed like a natural fit.

The jerks became cops. 😭

I wish people would also realize bullets hit the good guy and cars don't magically stop bullets. Cover vs concealment. I just watched a show where the good guy had a sig and 6 bad guys with full autos all in a shootout and he comes out on top just like all the other tv shows and movies

Don't get me wrong I love these shows but the call types and volume are ridiculous. To me the most realistic firefighter show is tacoma FD it was written by an FDNY member and it mainly shows the funny things that go on in a firehouse
Watch this show religiously!

Watch this show religiously!
Me too. I love tacoma FD it's so funny and I love station 19, Chicago med, chicago fire, and swat. Even though swat is most unrealistic, the tech they use doesn't even exist for tier 1 soldiers and their weapon handling is horrible even though they were trained like taran butler.

I also like that some of them actually show the toll it takes on first responders dealing with PTS myself

Back