The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Southern Oregon

We just got back from a 5-day vacation trip to southern Oregon, re-visiting a couple towns that we like. We flew to Medford and rented a car, which we drove a short distance to Jacksonville. Jacksonville was a gold rush town in the mid-1850s, and there are still quite a few buildings remaining from that time, both brick and wood.
37K03y4.jpg
xOE5osm.jpg
rmosAM0.jpg
BOO8wFi.jpg
k0U6nC8.jpg

On the surrounding streets there are well-preserved homes and churches from that same time.
T4ppxwA.jpg
1uDnm6y.jpg
H0JoUSu.jpg
aXjaYHF.jpg
vT0gx0i.jpg

And a pleasant walk away from the downtown area is the cemetery. I was struck by how many of the gravestones marked burial sites of children. In some ways that was a harder time to live.
XCW92fT.jpg
3EPXW6s.jpg
RVXabRo.jpg
o7nMU1e.jpg
lULQdDd.jpg
uZ5FPHK.jpg

We had taken with us a DVD with some episodes of 'Agatha Christie's Poirot' to watch in the evening in our B&B; but when we first arrived in Jacksonville we noticed an ad for a live production of a Poirot mystery in nearby Ashland. We were able to get tickets for the matinee performance and the preceding brunch and had a great time.
8WLOcYn.jpg
TpLkiwj.jpg

The trip was both relaxing and stimulating, and we really enjoyed it, but we were glad to get home. I was especially happy to get back to my regular shaving gear.

Love the Oregon coast myself and then Ashland for the Shakespeare festival!

Thanks for the pics! I especially like seeing the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodge buildings!

Back