The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SOTD 10 -16 September 2018

Flare Tip Super Speed w/Feather//TGN boar brush//Williams soap//Barbasol Pacific Rush//Bleu de Chanel EdP

A hero's shave today, in honor of a great man, our Grapefruit Sandalwood soap and splash. I stropped my razor on this handmade, custom strop from Flaquito Leather.

Razor : Gillette Super Speed flare Z-1

Blade : Gillette Platinum (4)

Shaving brush : Shea moisture black badger

Shaving cream : Karo Fresh

Aftershave : Barbon

FRIDAY SOTD ::::: September 14, 2018:

Pre-shave Oil: Floïd
Cream: PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu (sample)
Brush: Whipped Dog tall amber handle silvertip 24mm
Razor: GEM G-Bar
Blade: GEM Personna Super Stainless (2)
Post Splash: Humphreys Cucumber Melon Witch Hazel
After Shave: Floïd Black

SATURDAY SOTD ::::: September 15, 2018:

Pre-shave Oil: Maggard Razors Grapefruit

Cream: PannaCrema Nuàvia Verde (sample)
Brush: Ever-Ready F40 original boar 20mm
Razor: Enders Speed Razor shallow comb
Blade: Enders Made by Christy (1) (shimmed)
Post Splash: Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel unscented
After Shave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue Cooling
After Shave Balm: Nivea Men Sensitive

Saturday's shave was an adventure. I received the Enders Speed Razor a couple of days ago. It seemed unused, the razor in mint condition with the box in excellent shape for having been produced in the early 1930s, the blade in the razor still in its paper, a pristine instruction sheet, and an unopened pack of 5 blades. After figuring out how to load the razor and a clean up I discovered the blades were not Enders Speed Blades. The blades didn't have the "wings" on either side to snap them into place within the cap. After pondering a bit, and knowing that some shavers have trimmed injector blades and shimmed them with an original blade, I decided to give it try. I'd never shimmed before but what the hell! The blades I had were the same width as the original so after a bit of trial and error I had one snug against the guard and the original protruded enough at the top to insure that only one blade would touch my face. I shaved very gingerly with a light touch but still got a lot of blade feel. But no nicks, weepers or irritation. Initially I thought I had only a passable shave but a little later my skin felt quite stubble free except for the lower part of my neck on one side. I'll probably use this blade once or twice again. I plan on ordering a couple of packs of correct blades to see if I get a noticeable difference. All in all I am happy with the shave and glad I have the razor.

That’s cool. I have a couple Enders Speed Razors, but no blades, so never used them.

Thanks, Celestino!......BTW, how's that big Shavemac bulb (in the blue beehive) breaking in?

It is taking a very, very long time to break in with its massive knot (35 mm), but, hopefully, in another year or two, it'll be ready to use daily. ?

SUNDAY SOTD ::::: September 16, 2018

Pre-shave Oil; Maggard Razors Eucalyptus

Soap: Barrister & Mann Barrister’s Reserve Cool (sample)
Brush: PAA The Green Ray Hybrid Tribble Synthetic 24/57mm
Razor: Schick Type C2 Repeating closed comb
Blade: Vintage Schick (1)
Post Splash: Thayer Lavender Witch Hazel
After Shave: Barrister & Mann Barrister’s Reserve Cool
After Shave Balm: Nivea Men Sensitive

Back