The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

So What's Happening When I Skip A Day Of Shaving

Blade-meister

First Responder
Hobbyist
In my journal I hinted that I get the best shaves of my life when I skip a day of shaving. Today I got my first DBSS shave with my DE Variant, but what I'm wondering is if there is any theories out there as to why I get closer shaves when skipping a day of shaving?

My thoughts are that there is something going on with the hair and that as it grows out of the follicle that the hair is softer so the razor is cutting a softer hair and getting a closer shave? I thought maybe some of you shaving warrior veterans would know more about what's going on, or maybe it's just me and my unique experience. All I know is that my shave is super smooth and it lasts a lot longer than if I shave every day. Right now, it's 6:30 pm and my face feels like it would at about 3 or 4 pm as far as regrowth scratchiness goes.

So tell me what you think is happening? All theories are welcome.

Theories:

1) Newer hair is harder to cut. As hair grows out and ages, it gets weathered, loses vitamins/nutrients, and is more prone to breakage.

2) Relative perception of results, even though the final results may actually be very comparable. Daily shavers start with less stubble and do the same number of passes to remove that stubble; the results are usually minor incremental change from unshaven to shaved. Every other day or longer period shavers start with more stubble and there is more reduction over the passes; the perceptual results are more drastic.

Great theories. I'm thinking the newer hair is harder to cut for some reason, so I think you are onto something with #1 theory. I'd already considered theory #2, but the fact the smoothness lasts 2-3 and sometimes 4 hours longer than my daily shaves makes me think something else is going on.

Here's a third theory to consider: Perhaps some very minor pulling is happening with the longer stubble so the cut hair is relaxing back into follicle more than the daily shave getting almost the multi blade cart effect?

I find I have similar experiences with skipping a day or so. I think it's a combination of #1 from Mr Nior and also that the hairs are easier to get prepped for the shave as they tend to "hold" water and such on the face better. Also they stand up easier while lathering.

Here's a third theory to consider: Perhaps some very minor pulling is happening with the longer stubble so the cut hair is relaxing back into follicle more than the daily shave getting almost the multi blade cart effect?

I thought about that, but that would only really work for the first pass or maybe two at the most, because by pass two you’re down to roughly where you might be as a daily shaver. The any “pulling” effect would be hypothetically the same for the last pass or two.

1) Newer hair is harder to cut. As hair grows out and ages, it gets weathered, loses vitamins/nutrients, and is more prone to breakage.
True, but I doubt a day would make any difference.

This looks like a mystery that nobody really knows the answer to. How about our barbers out there, any theories?

More to cut is perceived as a closer shave? The perception theory described above I suppose. I propose the resting theory. Your face "heals" and you can shave more aggressively without discomfort.

More to cut is perceived as a closer shave? The perception theory described above I suppose. I propose the resting theory. Your face "heals" and you can shave more aggressively without discomfort.
Everytime I see this discussion I think this is something that contributes to it along with the others thoughts.

Back