The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Single edge vs double edge dilemma

ParamedicAL

Shave Member
First Responder
Someone mentioned to me that because my whiskers are pretty tough so especially when going against the grain because double edge blades are thin there can be what they said a play in a blade. And that can cause irritation. So I was told I should better try single edge ac blades they are thinker and less or no play. Is that something to go by or call it BS.

Don’t pay attention to the grammar just worked 18 hours

I disagree with the proposition that a DE blade going agains the grain will have “play” just because you have a thick beard. In my opinion, whether a DE blade has play or not solely depends on the razor used. Some razors lock the blade in much better than others.

With respect to the difference between DE blades and SE Artist Club blades, there is no doubt that the SE blades are thicker and stiffer. There is also great variety amongst SE blades, with some being much sharper than others.

As to whether you will have less, or no, irritation with an SE blade, you will only know if you try them. Again, from my experience, shaves with SE Artist Club blades usually provide me with the closest shave to a straight razor and with no irritation. But, I have had equally good shaves with DE blades. Many times, it depends on so many other factors in the shave, like beard preparation and proper lathering.

The above being said, try shaving with a Blackbird Asylum and a Schick Proline blade. That should provide an excellent comparison for you.

It’s just about finding the right gear and routine that suit your needs is all. I’m probably an exception to the norm but I can get a good shave from just about any razor. I’ve found that milder razors do suit me better though for the most comfortable shaves from day to day. Other guys find that they prefer the shaves the most aggressive razors give.

Just gotta take the time to really learn the gear you get to try and find the combo and prep that works best for you.

Call it what you will, but my first try with an AC blade was eye opening. The stiffness seemed much more efficient and easier to get an irritation free BBS with more razors.

I won’t say AC is or isn’t better than DE because there are way too many variables in the mix. I love them both from the mild to the wild in both formats. What I have found is that you can get BBS with a Feather in a Blue Tip just the same way you can with a Muhle R41 and a Voskhod. I love my Colonial General SE and that razor is the finest of the AC I have. All about technique and trial.

A Blackland Vector Open Comb with a ShickP30 is the best shave I've ever had. For the time being, it has put my other razors in semi-retirement. I only use them to remind me how great the Vector is.

Blackland Vector

I can see this happening to me. I have 1 use on a new Blackland Vector sb w/ Kai Captain Titan mild blade today. It was amazing. Usually, I reserve judgement for a week or so of use under various conditions. However, I found this short review on another forum... And, I agree with everything he said. YMMV.

vctr:kai.png

@ParamedicAL Good luck on your quest!!

sotd.jpg

Back