The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Simpsons Synthetics

woodpusher

TSC’s International Man of Meh
With the introduction of the Petrol Head and Trafalgar line, Simpsons now appears to have three grades of synthetic fibres in use. It could actually be as many as four, as the Chubby-1 doesn't state "Platinum" on their site, but this could be an oversight.

Looking at their website, here is what I glean (from highest to lowest grade, based on pricing)....

Platinum grade
Chubby-1 (tagged as "uniquely developed" but since in their standard handle, I think it is a typo)
Chubby-2
Classic-1
Duke-3

Sovereign grade
Trafalgar-1/2/3

"uniquely sourced"
Petrol Head

I've sent a note to Mark @Simpsons to understand whether the Trafalgar and Petrol Heads are the same fibre, as well as whether the Chubby-1 is indeed Platinum, and will will report back when I get a reply.

Based on how nice the Chubby-2 is, I might look at getting a quote for an Eagle-1 in Platinum with a 45mm loft (2.25 loft ratio) as that would be a more splayable knot with the same great fibre By compaison, the normal Eagle-1 has a 44mm loft for a 2.2 ratio. The Chubby-2 comes standard with a backbone-y 1.85 loft , 27mm x 50mm loft.

Don't waste your money as they are using yesterday's generation of synthetic. Save $$ and get today's performance with any YaQi synthetic.

It's been over a month and I have not heard back from them. Oh well, I guess I will stick my my CH2 Synth and forego anything else from them at present.

Say what you will but love my Chubby 2 Syn. It the best combo of density and backbone almost approaching Silvertip. Maybe old gen syn but overall pkg a winner

I absolutely love my Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetics. Over the years I have accumulated 6 different colors of CH2 synthetics. While I other synthetic brushes, approach the feel of a high end badger brush the way the CH2 does. I also have a Trafalgar T3 which is a fantastic brush. The density and backbone are not at the level of the CH2 synthetic but it is a fantastic brush. Given the price it really is a special brush.

Back