The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Silly Idea - Reducing brush diameter?

samupun

Jr. Shave Member
Got a brush that is 24mm knot but since its so dense, I am hoping to reduce the diameter?
I am assuming its a super silly idea to try to meticulously trim each hair on the outside in a circular pattern to try to reduce the knot??
Go easy on me, please. o_O:cry::oops::unsure:

It’s your brush, do as you please. It might turn out better just swapping with someone for a smaller brush.

I was just thinking about selling it too or just need to be patient in learning to lather with a dense brush....lol

Depending on the setting of the knot, you could try raising it up out of the handle further, allowing it to splay more? Don’t know if the original knot would be salvageable though.

I am assuming its a super silly idea to try to meticulously trim each hair on the outside in a circular pattern to try to reduce the knot??
There's one way to find out! But I wouldn't do it with an expensive brush in case it doesn't work.

Not sure what brush/knot it is or how expensive it was, but I would set it aside and buy a different brush. There are lots of good quality brushes at reasonable prices, I'm sure you will find one that suits you.

If dense is the issue (usually a desired characteristic) you might opt to increase its ‘floppiness’ or splay to make the density less of a factor. Assuming it’s a natural hair brush you could use a chemical bleaching agent or heavy duty peroxide to achieve the floppy. Or just use the heck out of it until it flops.

Got a brush that is 24mm knot but since its so dense, I am hoping to reduce the diameter?
Go easy on me, please. o_O:cry::oops::unsure:

I'm assuming it's not a synthetic brush. If it is, this won't solve your density problem, since the fibers will just spring back to their normal position. Unlike badgers/boars/horse, they don't learn.

The natural hair brushes can learn a bit, the boars in particular. With regular usage and more aggressive 'mash it' loading, the knot will splay so that it doesn't seem quite so dense. Simpsons that are really stuffed with shorter loft, like the Chubby or Classic, aren't going to loosen up all that much. With other brands, you have a fighting chance at least.

If you tried to trim them as you suggested, I don't think you'd like the look of it when it was done. If it's a cheap one, that you don't care if you wreck it, go ahead and try.

Personally, I'd just use it, and get used to it. As mentioned, dense brushes are generally better liked across the board. It's easier to get a good lather with a dense brush. If you're having issues, load longer.

Back