The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Show off your Paladin Brushes!

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Paladin is my favorite maker of Badger Brushes. The quality and care put into each handle and knot is unmatched by anyone, in my opinion. I've seen Ken's workshop (prior to his move to Colorado), and I know what goes into each brush. The effort and precision that he puts into each brush is really crazy. And one think I really love about Paladin, is that it is a family run business. Ken, his wife Pam, and his son Cody all play a part in creating the brushes and getting them out to the user.

So, let's see what Paladin Brushes you have!

Here's my Paladin Collection. The top row are all of the Halloween releases, which are my favorite!
Den11.jpg

Den12.jpg

Den13.jpg

Den14.jpg

Wow!! Thats some collection there KJ. I’ve never knew any of those existed until recently and basically only the 1s you put up for sale.

I love Paladin too! I'll get a pic up tomorrow. But let's face it feels almost pointless after seeing that gaggle of brushes!
Those powder keg handles are cool @Spider , I haven't seen them before.

My first Paladin just arrived yesterday! Bought from a BST section of another site. Sterilizing it today, can’t wait to try it out tomorrow. Now if only somebody could decipher the knot code 2CLNE7 for me. That section of the Paladin website hasn’t been working and there is remarkably little written about the knot codes on the forums.86612DA8-32C1-45A5-A701-6C851367CE55.jpegC1B27FFB-1DF3-4CEA-886F-18EB7B29D260.jpeg

I love Paladin too! I'll get a pic up tomorrow. But let's face it feels almost pointless after seeing that gaggle of brushes!
Those powder keg handles are cool @Spider , I haven't seen them before.
Not pointless at all. It's not a competition. It's about seeing the variety of Paladins that are out there!

That section of the Paladin website hasn’t been working and there is remarkably little written about the knot codes on the forums.
Here is what Ken said about the Knot Code page:

"I made it invisible. I haven't posted any new notes since sometime in 2019. The original idea behind Knot Codes was to enable discussion of knots with a common frame of reference. Knot Notes seemed like a good idea too, but inevitably I ran into some issues with other users who took exception to the accuracy of my description based on their different subjective experience of a knot."

I have the knot code list saved, as of 26 Nov 20, but it only goes up to 2CLNG6. That was Ken's last update and it was input on 27 Sep 19.

Now if only somebody could decipher the knot code 2CLNE7 for me.
I have that knot in a few of my brushes. Honestly though, I can't really tell any difference in the knots in any of my Paladins. They all just work really well.

Here is what Ken said about the Knot Code page:

"I made it invisible. I haven't posted any new notes since sometime in 2019. The original idea behind Knot Codes was to enable discussion of knots with a common frame of reference. Knot Notes seemed like a good idea too, but inevitably I ran into some issues with other users who took exception to the accuracy of my description based on their different subjective experience of a knot."

I have the knot code list saved, as of 26 Nov 20, but it only goes up to 2CLNG6. That was Ken's last update and it was input on 27 Sep 19.
That makes sense. I found a post from 2017 on another site that says

The code consists of 6 parts

The first number refers to 2- or 3-band hair
The second letter refers to the source of the hair. C=China
The third letter refers to the short (S) or long (L) hair type
The fourth letter refers to any secondary characteristics of the hair
The fifth letter refers to the month(?) the knot was released (A=Jan, B=Feb, etc)
The sixth number refers to year of release (4=Paladin's fourth year of business)”

I like the system, but could see how that 4th letter code might cause annoying and endless debate. YMMV seems to be the mantra of the wet shaving game!

The Sumo doesn't look like it..... but it is a very comfortable brush to hold!
I can certainly attest to that. Of all the handle shapes I have (non-Paladin of course) this one is super comfortable.

Back