The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shea Butter

Blade-meister

First Responder
Hobbyist
I know @NurseDave is the expert on body butters, but was wondering if he or anyone else has used Shea Butter as part of their post shave regimen? I've been using Stirling soap lately and it has Shea Butter in it and my face has been feeling awesome after my shaves so I'm thinking maybe that's the difference. This of course got me thinking that maybe I should just buy some Shea Butter and use it post shave. Just thought someone out there might be able to give some better insight on it.

I know @NurseDave is the expert on body butters, but was wondering if he or anyone else has used Shea Butter as part of their post shave regimen? I've been using Stirling soap lately and it has Shea Butter in it and my face has been feeling awesome after my shaves so I'm thinking maybe that's the difference. This of course got me thinking that maybe I should just buy some Shea Butter and use it post shave. Just thought someone out there might be able to give some better insight on it.
If you do use it very lightly, as a small amount goes a LONG way, if you overdo it you can block pores and makes for Grease face

I've used unrefined shea butter for several years in my post-shave routine. I also use it on my hands, and I find it to be the best healing moisturizer I've ever used. A little goes a long way; however, it's easy to blot off the excess with a tissue. I typically follow the USB with a splash of alcohol-based aftershave, and that effectively addresses any greasiness.

It has a slightly "nutty" odor. Smells ok to me, but everyone is different.

My Bride uses it on her dry heels, and my sister-in-law tells me it provides great sunburn relief. Before you know, you'll have everybody in your family using it.

Since it is a raw product, I pay a little extra for one having a purity certification. Even then, a tub lasts me well over a year, so the cost per use is minimal. I'm currently getting mine here: Bikita Naturals | Beauty should be simple. Great supplier, reasonable prices, nice color/consistency, and nearly odorless.

if you overdo it you can block pores and makes for Grease face
That makes sense. What I read is that you put a little in your hands and rub it fast to heat it up and then apply to the face. Probably like anything........too much of a good thing equals a bad thing...........

So I thought I'd highlight some details of the shea butter. I found that to apply as an aftershave lotion or moisturizer doesn't work for my face. It just feels like a newbie's mistake rubbing the face too much after shaving. I felt like it made any remnant of the beard stand up in the pore so that a really nice shave didn't feel that way after application. That was a bit of a bummer.

The next experiment was using it at night before bed. A quick wash of the face and I was ready to go. I found that heating up the top of the puck of shea butter with the hair dryer actually worked very well. I just held it on it long enough for it to start to glisten a bit and then it was ready to put on the fingers. I used the Mr. Miyagi technique of rubbing the hands quickly to build up more heat and then applied all over the face. After several weeks of use I noticed a big change in my face. Any age lines softened and my skin really felt and looked good. The best part was that even after a shower it acted as a pre-shave treatment and made the shave in the morning better. Overall, this before bed application seems to work out best for me. A little goes a LONG way, so don't turn your face into a grease ball, just enough to feel it on there. Overnight it all absorbs in so you aren't greasy or anything.

Incidentally, a little research shows that shea butter is a really good product for your skin. I use the unrefined shea butter as from what I read it was the best product for the face. I got mine from Stirling.

Back