The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shaving with Dad

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
I’m often shaving early in the morning, around 5:00am, it’s the zen hour in my household. Everyone is usually asleep, but every now and then my little guy, Nathan is awake and on the prowl. He’ll usually sit on the toilet, with the lid down, holding one of his stuffed animals or his best friend(a soap frog also named Nathan, in its box). Typically he’s quiet and sits and watches, but some days, like today; he’ll ask questions about why I shave and why I do what I do. I was explaining why I strop, why I use a brush, and on and on.

Today, he really liked my new big “green” brush @Smattayu you have another admirer. I shaved with my S.R. Droescher, Blue Diamond, Sorrentino 28mm “Big Green” Badger, Yardley shaving soap, B&M Mélange AS and Balm. He loves the smell of Mélange, “Ohhh it’s so spicy,” he says. After the shave he always wants to rub my face and rub his cheeks on mine. Then he runs to wake up Mommy, smelling like daddy! I hope he remembers these mornings some day in the future as quiet enjoyable moments with his dad.

I too remember many mornings, sitting in our carpeted 1980’s bathroom, atop a shag covered toilet lid, while watching my dad shave. He would use Barbasol, a Gillette Atra or Track 2, rarely any aftershave, and me asking a thousand questions. Good old times, which I remember more as flashes of emotion and looking up to my dad in the abstract, more than as exact moments.

With all that said, do you have memories of watching your dad shave? Do your sons and daughters watch you shave too?

Best wishes my friends!

This the reason I’m making my videos… for the grandkids. Four grandsons, three granddaughters. Most live away, two of the grandson live close. They’ve watched me, I’ve shaved them. Good memories.
This is a brilliant reason to record your shaves, they may be around for ever??

I have fond memories of the early 90's and dad shaving, always with that blue Edge Gel and an Atra. He's always used both Old Spice aftershave and deodorant so that is the scent I most distinctly identify with shaving. I always marveled at him combing the foamy mess he lathered up with his fingers right off his face with the razor. Then I'd ask for a splash of the aftershave - sometimes I'd get it, sometimes not, but I loved it.

Back