The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shaving Mug or Coffee Mug that is the question?

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
To be or not to be? Is it a shaving mug or is it a coffee mug? Many of us have found this to be a common question when collecting.

What is the consensus?

I offer up my first mug for your viewing pleasure.

United States medical department, Carr China CO. Grafton, W. VA 43
IMG_2625.jpegIMG_2626.jpegIMG_2627.jpeg

I'm thinking more along the lines of a coffee mug. Possibly used at the dining facility of a Military Medical Hospital or along those lines. I did find this website that I thought was pretty interesting on Carr China Company: Carr China | Grafton, West Virginia - History Part One

Also found this Creamer on the electronic Bay...which would lend to my decision that you have a coffee cup/mug.

1726480051674.webp1726480074972.webp

Based on handle I’m going with shaving.
Looks small, ideal for hooking a thumb while hand grasps the mug (good for shaving, bad for hot coffee)

I'm going with coffee cup, but it can be whatever it wants to be.

Do any of the vintage pucks fit flat on the bottom?

I think its original purpose is/was coffee mug BUT l wouldn't doubt that its design (like many older designs) may have been meant to serve BOTH coffe and shaving needs. Other than the first impression being "cafeteria mug" the tapering bottom seam to taper down to a size that typcial shaving soap pucks may nto have fit well.

Either way we ALL know every vintage or vintage looking mug we finds while thrifting and antiquing is a shaving mug. Same with small deep sided dishes and bowls, that are all lather bowls

I'm going with coffee cup, but it can be whatever it wants to be.

Do any of the vintage pucks fit flat on the bottom?
Yes a williams puck fits perfectly. Yep, it can be what it wants to identify as, but as @NurseDave has said, a clinking sound while lathering disqualifies smaller mugs.

Back