The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shaving every other day?

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
I usually shave everyday but more recently I have skipped a day here and there. Usually I skip because I am pushed for time and have no plans to be anywhere in particular. I did it again this weekend, skipped Saturday and shaved Sunday morning as normal. I have noticed a few things occur when I skip a day or two, some I like and some I don't.

One thing I don't like is the feel of a 36 hour beard, especially when I am working outside in the intense heat. To be fair, a close shave in the morning can be a little uncomfortable in the heat too. A weekend beard also has the tendency to rub the neckline of my tshirts making them pill up a bit, this is one reason I have always shaved even when I have no major plans.

I do like how close the shave feels when I finally shave but I struggle to say it is any better than the shave I would have gotten had I shaved on schedule. Oddly enough I have found the shave following a multiday growth lasts longer. This mornings growth was enough to warrant a shave but just barely. ...and this made the shave a little less exciting.

So...my call? Shave everyday. I think I get the best and most consistent results when I shave every morning.

What about you?

I did the every other day thing for a few months, chasing that baby on days when I did shave. But I found that it became frustrating waiting to shave for a day. So I began shaving every day once again, but cutting out the ATG and clean-up passes in favor of the WTG and opposing direction XTG passes; one favoring the WTG and one favoring the ATG. I've found that I get a good (not great) result, generally DFS or DFS+, very little chance of irritation, and enough growth to allow me to shave the next day comfortably without risking additional irritation.

Shaving every other day...... Why Would You Do That????

I absolutely hate skipping a shave. It only happens a few times a year. This morning I was pressed for time, and I only did one pass. Halfway through the day and I already dislike the way my face feels.

I have way too much soap to shave every other day.

I shaved every other day the first couple years of my traditional shaving journey.

My facial hair is a bit too patchy to grow anything except a fu manchu or a fly, so I made the decision to try and stay reasonably shaven. I’d always have some irritating scruff on the off day and I was always looking forward to that next day shave. For some reason I never made the switch until this year. I think it was just fear of more cuts, irritation, etc.

I don’t regret moving to every day though, because I enjoy having the shave in my daily routine. There was more irritation in the beginning, but my face and technique adjusted after a week or so. I also had the thought for a while that my every other day shaves were much closer, but now I’m thinking it was an illusion of sorts because of the scruff I dealt with on off days.

I have way too much soap to shave every other day.
This

Plus a nice smooth face with no scruff at all is an accomplishment and feels great.

This year I've challenged myself to 365 shaves. A few times I've thought what's the point? Nobody but me cares if I do that or not. But since I'm on track through over half the year, I'll probably stick to it. I'm curious to see if I appreciate it in the end.

I'm not going to say I shave every other day...but I don't shave everyday either. I do like the way my skin feels after a day or two of growth...so there's that. But I also like spending time in the morning preparing for the day with some lather on my face and cold steel against my skin!

I love the feeling of having a shave every day. It is one of the things that helps me wake up in the morning.

I enjoy shaving every day. I usually have nothing I need to be clean shaven for, but I enjoy the shaving experience so I don't like skipping. It's something I do for myself. That said, I will skip a day every 2 weeks or so, usually a Saturday.

I have skipped a couple days here and there recently. I do try to be an everyday shaver though. I just find it gets itchy when not smooth.

I usually shave everyday but more recently I have skipped a day here and there. Usually I skip because I am pushed for time and have no plans to be anywhere in particular.

I normally take one night a week off from shaving (usually Fri night, but could be Saturday... or none at all depending on the schedule & going on.

One thing I don't like is the feel of a 36 hour beard, especially when I am working outside in the intense heat.

I feel the same way. I've always joked that my stubble doesn't quite grow fast enough for the razor to get a good "bite" on the whiskers if I shave every day, but the growth is fast enough that I really look un-kept by noon on the 2nd day if I don't. Hence, though I normally take Fri night off from the razor, I'll shave that night if I have something going on the next day for which I need to be presentable.

I do like how close the shave feels when I finally shave but I struggle to say it is any better than the shave I would have gotten had I shaved on schedule. Oddly enough I have found the shave following a multiday growth lasts longer. This mornings growth was enough to warrant a shave but just barely.

I have no doubt that I get a closer shave after not shaving for a day. And that's been my experience w/ the DE, the SR (I just tend to get less shoddy results than usual after a no-shave day), and going back to my Sensor/ SensorXL/ Trac II days.

So, in general, I take Fri night off. But it all depends on what's going on. If I feel the need to shave but am pressed for time, I might just use the electric... or take another night off... or both. And I don't always take all the gear with me when I'm travelling - especially if it's just a night or two on a busy trip while travelling light. (The electric shaver was just too compact, quick, & easy not to use on a recent overnight trip to Escondido, CA.)

At least, that's my two cents. To quote Dennis Miller, "But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

Back