The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shaving back in the day.

ParamedicAL

Shave Member
First Responder
I can get a near bbs shave shaving everyday. But since I am a daily shaver I end up with more irritation then necessary. So I am debating to scale back to a single with the grain pass daily. I wonder how people shaved back in the day. Did they know about terms like bbs or a number of passes.

I’m guessing that (depending on how far back you mean by “back in the day”) most men didn’t shave except to chop down beard growth, that it was reserved for what few middle class there were and then the elite.

I’m also guessing some techniques were developed in regards to preparing the face, use of special products. and ways to use the razor. I’d think terms, variety, and access for the everyday man came along much later...like mid to late 1800s.

What are you guys talking about? Back in the day every guy knew how to hone and strop his own straight razors and walked around BBS smelling of Penhaligon’s.

But since I am a daily shaver I end up with more irritation then necessary. So I am debating to scale back to a single with the grain pass daily
I shave every day with 3 full passes plus touchup and rarely get any irritation. I'm curious if it's your technique?

BBS is a term that was invented on the Shaving Forums, for sure. Back in the day, I'm sure folks did shave with multiple passes, but they didn't keep track of their passes or talk to each other about how many pass shave they had that day.

My best shave is one with the grain pass, and then just touch ups along the way. It gets me a great DFS shave every morning. Now on the weekends when I have more time I pull out all the stops and pamper myself, towel treatment etc.

My best shave is one with the grain pass, and then just touch ups along the way. It gets me a great DFS shave every morning. Now on the weekends when I have more time I pull out all the stops and pamper myself, towel treatment etc.
Thought you just started “clean up” passes on your chin? 😱

Back