The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shaving and Mindfulness: The Zen of a Razor's Edge

A few days ago, while standing in front of the bathroom mirror scraping my throat with a straight razor, I had an epiphany. Traditional shaving and mindfulness are one in the same!
Several years ago my employers realized that, as a group, their employees were not handling stress in a healthy productive manner. The problem had become so bad that divorce, alcoholism, and even suicide were trending noticeably upward among my coworkers. Use of sick days and the resulting overtime were out of control.
To combat this dreadful trend, they decided to bring in a mindfulness coach. Now, if you can, imagine a bunch of jaded, cynical, out of shape, conservative types sitting in a circle and talking about their feelings. No? Hard to picture? Think of how it was received. Many just refused to go, others gave it the good old college try but couldn’t feel comfortable enough to stick it out. One commented to me that he could feel his skin crawling while he was sitting there. As if his whole body was rejecting the proposition of deep breathing exercises and meditation.
I decided to stick it out. I had reached a point in my life where I did not know the person I had become. I no longer enjoyed going out with friends, and you could forget about any situation where I would need to meet new people. People in general sucked, why would I want to spend my time among them. At home, I was short tempered with my children and my wife. Yelling had become my new constant volume.
Mindfulness taught me that stress, sometimes, was a good thing. As long as it was processed in a healthy way. I learned to reset my breathing, helping my body relax, even in the middle of my workday. I learned techniques for falling asleep more quickly and waking up better. Things that helped me transform the way that I dealt with the everyday stressors that I face. And, as with most things we learn, over time the practice faded.
Don’t get me wrong, I am cognizant of the benefits mindfulness provides. I just allowed life to retake the hold on me that I had been fighting against. For months now I have operated in a sort of no-man’s land between the cynical jerk I was and the enlightened, yoga practicing mindfulness coach that taught me.
How does this relate to shaving? I’ll start with lathering the soap. Choosing a scent, selecting a brush, maybe a bowl or mug, are akin to clearing your mind and turning your focus inward. Nothing matters now but the shave. Wet the brush, load the brush, and begin building your lather. As you work the brush, and the lather builds, feel your stress melting away. Paint the lather on your whiskers and narrow your focus. Your mind is clear. You are now prepared for the business at hand.
Now let’s look at the act of shaving. You pick up your razor. Whether a vintage DE or the newest Merkur, an antique Wade and Butcher or a handmade custom job, this is definitely not a cartridge that was mass produced for convenience. This is a precision instrument. As sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, it requires a steady hand and concentration. Center your breathing. Breathing from deep within your chest calms you, and ensures that your hands won’t shake as you place razor to skin. Each stroke, precise and sure, removes a little more of the day’s stubble from your face. Your focus is entirely on the shave now. Your mind is blank, no longer muddled with thoughts of the day to come or the day that was, only the peaceful scrape of the razor as it removes the stubble from your skin. As you complete the final strokes, you are completely relaxed. Whether your shave begins or ends your day does not matter. Your stress has been removed along with your whiskers. You are a new man, ready for what may come.
See it now? Traditional shaving and mindfulness practice are two peas in a pod. The next time you find yourself preparing for a shave, give yourself some extra time. Look at it from a mindful view and use the opportunity rid yourself of stress. I promise you, you’ll begin to see shaving in a whole new light. You’ll begin to look forward to your shave, if you don’t already.
If you’re curious about Traditional Shaving and haven’t yet given it a try, I welcome your questions and will do my best to answer them. I’m not the only one. There is a vast network of Traditional shavers in forums and Facebook groups the world over that would love to help you get started. Ours is a community without prejudice or judgment, a brotherhood united by a love for sharp razors and rich, fragrant lather. Join us, and enjoy your shave!

You’ve put into words (very well done by the way) what many or most of us have known, felt or experienced. When someone from outside the traditional shaving community asks “why” or “what is the appeal?” It is what you’ve described here that we try to articulate.

...now, do you think the process of hair and makeup is as meditative for women as traditional shaving is for men?

Good insight. I think that's what a lot of us feel, we just don't really think about it much. But I've always felt relaxed and calm while shaving. It's a focus thing for sure. Sometimes my mid is racing and I'm thinking about other stuff, but Usually I'm focused just on the shave. It's a good feeling. And it certainly is nice, on the weekends, when I can take a little extra time on the shave and not feel so rushed like when I'm getting ready for work.

Preach brother Jim! Thank you for sharing that with us. It certainly is taking time for one's self for a positive reason.

Yes. This exactly.

I initially tried traditional shaving because I hated all of the modern forms of shaving (carts and electrics) and my wife was always bugging me to shave (which I only did about once a month). My first shave was the zen, mindful moment that you describe and I was hooked. Shaving is now a better way to start the day for me than coffee. It makes every day better.

Outstanding write up!
1f44d.png

Excellent Jim! And thanks for sharing! I feel like I was reading "Zen and the Art of Archery." It's just taking a moment for us to ensure we are clear of mind and prepared for the day! Thanks for sharing!

Outstanding encapsulation of what shaving can be, and how it is described to my wife and friends when they give that "are you serious" look when I tell them shaving is my hobby.

Welcome to the journals Jim!

Great read and it echos what I've told everyone when they look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them it takes me at least 20 minutes or more to shave everyday.

Back