The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sean Connery: James Bond actor dies aged 90

The first Bond movies, Dr. No, Thunderball, Goldfinger, and From Russia With Love, were all fantastic. No silliness that started creeping in with Diamonds Are Forever and You Only Live Twice. By the time Roger Moore took over, things were positively goofy. The heck with magnetic watch guns. The early Bond got along just fine with his Walther PPK. And Connery was also great in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He will be missed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

How is this not a winner?! Any movie that essentially starts with a large flying stone head vomiting weapons and chanting about thier virtue in comparison to male anatomy is gold.
There are movies that are so bad they're enjoyable ironically. I'd say this is one of them. But I wouldn't watch it more than once.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

He was definitely a great actor who made pretty much anything he was in worth watching. It’s already been a long time since he had been in a new movie but watching the old ones he’s in is still so entertaining. He stepped away from acting (screen) quite awhile ago, I presume so he could end his carrier on a positive note and hand off to the next generation of actors. He seemed to be a man of good character who didn’t frivolously exploit his hard earned celebrity, actors/guys like him are a dying breed...Shoot, his son’s almost 60 and done a ton of work in film. Sir Connery has indeed left us some great film treasures.

The quintessential Bond and helped make so many other films into blockbusters! RIP!

Who else could single handedly fly take down a German fighter with an umbrella and a flock of seagulls? 😮

He - and his characters, especially Bond - was controversial at times, but I always really enjoyed his acting and thought he was very talented. I grew up seeing the Bond films, and for better or worse, they helped to shape my personality somewhat. Sheila O'Malley re-posted an excerpt from an interview with him by Oriana Fallaci, and I think it's illuminating:

kbJ4ld2.jpg

Back